Hello, lovelies, how are you guys doing? I’ve been quite occupied lately, but I’m not complaining. Staying busy is far better than being idle, it keeps me engaged and, honestly, helps avoid that empty feeling, not to mention the financial struggles. *Grins*
So, today we are doing soups. Pardon me for boasting, but I do have a knack for creating delectable soups. My ultimate dream is to launch a quaint cafe offering an array of soups, focaccia, and salads! Obviously, there has to be some desserts/pastries involved. I’ve shared numerous scrumptious soup recipes on the blog, and today, I’ll be adding yet another equally delightful one to the collection.
Despite the many variations of broccoli cheddar soup, this straightforward recipe allows you to prepare a hearty meal in a jiffy! It begins with the usual suspects that make a soup delicious: garlic, onion, herbs, and butter. I did not cut the broccoli too small as I rather enjoy the larger broccoli florets for a more substantial bite, but feel free to cut yours smaller if you prefer it that way.
While I chose cream to elevate the soup’s richness, feel free to swap it out with milk or half-and-half for a lighter texture. To make this soup vegan-friendly, simply replace chicken stock with vegetable stock. For those who enjoy meat, shredded or chopped grilled chicken can be added as a topping or mixed directly into the soup.
The versatility of this recipe is undeniable, making it an easy recipe to prepare especially on busy (or lazy) days! This Broccoli Cheddar Soup is deliciously creamy with comforting flavors. I love topping the soup with more cheese. In my book, there’s no such thing as ‘too much cheese.’ This broccoli cheese soup can easily become a satisfying main course when paired with toasted crusty or garlic bread. I personally enjoy dipping garlicky bread into the soup. <3
More Soup Recipes:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme
- 4 cups chicken/vegetable stock
- 1 large russet potatoes, cubed
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 head broccoli, cut into small florets
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 200g cheddar cheese, shredded
- Slurry (1 tbsp plain flour + ¼ cup water)
- More cheddar cheese for topping
- Add butter and oil in a pot.
- Sauteonion, and cook, stirring frequently, until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and thyme until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken/vegetable stock.
- Add in potatoes and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in broccoli and cook till tender.
- Add heavy cream, slurry and season with salt and black pepper.
- Gradually mix in cheese, until smooth.
- Serve hot.