Say hello to this 30 Minute Tomato Soup that comes together in as the title suggest – 30 minutes. Anything that takes only that much time to cook has to be good right? RIGHT?
This soup is everything you want tomato soup to be — warm, thick, creamy yet light and of course just bursting with tomato flavour. Added to that, you don’t even need that many ingredients, basically, this is a dream recipe.
The weather has been pretty chilly in Singapore since the year started. It’s been amazing to not even have to turn on the fan or air-conditioner in the nights. I am loving it and I am also expecting a smaller electricity bill this month. 😀 #sweaterweatherftw
Anyways, back to these gorgeous foxy red bowl of deliciousness. Did I mention that this soup is completely gluten-free? Since we won’t be using any flour for thickening.
Of course, it’s already perfect on its own but you know that it is unadorned if it’s without a grilled cheese sandwich by the side right? What is a bowl of tomato soup without the cheesy bread for dunking? Just a basic cheese sandwich would do really. The soup is already the star here.
As I type this, listening to the pitter-patter of rain on my windows all I want is another bowl (or maybe two) of these Tomato soup to warm me up straight from my heart to my toes. Talk about comfort in a bowl. <3
Check Out The Video Below On How To Make This 30 Minute Tomato Soup:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated/minced
- 2 cans (800g in total) stewed or whole tomatoes, with their liquid
- 2 cups chicken/vegetable broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- ⅔ cup cream
- A few sprigs of thyme
- Sugar (if your canned tomatoes are too tart)
- 4 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 cloves garlic, grated (optional)
- 2 slices Cheddar cheese
- 2 slices mozzarella
- In a Dutch oven or soup pot, add the olive oil and butter.
- Add the onion and sauté for a few minutes
- Add the garlic and sauté for another 30 seconds.
- Pour all of the tomatoes with the juices.
- Add the salt, pepper, chilli flakes and oregano.
- Cook for 15 minutes, reducing the heat as necessary to maintain a gentle simmer and stirring occasionally.
- Carefully transfer the mixture to a blender and process till smooth. Alternatively, you can use a handheld blender.
- Add thyme and cream.
- Check for seasoning. If your soup is a little too tart, add a tsp of sugar.
- Preheat skillet over medium heat.
- Mix the garlic and the butter.
- Generously butter one side of a slice of bread.
- Place bread butter-side-down onto skillet bottom and add 1 slice of cheddar and mozzarella.
- Butter a second slice of bread on one side and place butter-side-up on top of the sandwich.
- Grill until lightly browned and flip over.
- Repeat with remaining 2 slices of bread.
- Serve with tomato soup while still hot.