If I were to think of my favorite ingredients (right on top of my head), it would look like this.
- Artisan bread
- Fresh herbs
If it wasn’t for chicken, I would have become a vegetarian very easily. I do have a soft spot for vegetarian food somewhere there in my <3 (Read: Heart).
Is there such a thing as being a part-time vegetarian? Like I can decide as to when I just want to eat a Baked Butternut Squash or dive in a pot of Chicken Casserole? If there is such a club, kindly sign me up for a lifetime membership. There are certain staples that make their way into my supermarket cart on a weekly basis. One of it has to be mushrooms. I love mushrooms. No, wait, let me up-size it. I LOVE mushrooms. Yup, big on love, but I am not alone because when I was googling for some mushroom recipes, I came across this on yahoo answers.
Who would even ask such a question?? Dude, just leave her for the love of mushroom!!
Anyways, these Three Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms are phenomenal and totally out of the world. This has to be the best mushroom dish ever! It tasted so good that I can easily give up pizza for this. Yes, you read me correctly. I CAN give up pizza for a platter of these. Stuffed with cream cheese, Parmesan and mozzarella, how can you possibly go wrong? They make the perfect appetizers, but If you are making these for appetizers, do use smaller button mushrooms. It makes popping so easy or rather, too easy! I used full-size button mushrooms because I wanted to eat this as a main meal. Yes, my dinner was made out of mushrooms ♥. It makes me feel less guilty with all three cheeses going on there. Strategy my friend, strategy.
Most of us are exposed to a few varieties of mushrooms, but do you know that there are actually thousands of different types of mushrooms? My favorites would be white button, Portobello, shitake, oyster and enoki. I have realized that people who love mushrooms would be head over heels with these little beauties and people who dislike/hates them, like my brother, you literally have to twist his arm to make him eat these! I’m not speaking from personal experience here.
These mushrooms were delicious. Oh wait, have I already said that or is this just Deja vu? Mushrooms are already awesome in my opinion, but when you fill it with gooey melted cheese, it is so glorious! Imagine topping these up with some crispy bacon? Just crisp up some bacon, crumble and top it on the mushrooms. Holy cow! But since I am a vegetarian for the day, I didn’t add bacon to this (Read: I did not have bacon in the fridge)
- 12 whole fresh mushrooms
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion - chopped
- 1 small pepper/capsicum - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - minced
- 200 g cream cheese, softened
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper
- A pinch of dried mixed Italian herbs (optional)
- 2 tbsp of chopped parsley or coriander (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spray a baking pan with cooking spray.
- Clean mushrooms and remove the stems.
- Heat oil in a frying pan and fry the onions and peppers for a few minutes. Add the chopped garlic, dried herbs and saute for another minute. Season with salt and pepper and set aside to cool.
- When the mixture has cool down, stir in cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and cayenne pepper.
- Using a little spoon, fill each mushroom cap with a generous amount of stuffing.
- Arrange the mushroom caps on the baking sheet and top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Once out of the oven, top with parsley or coriander.
If you are a mushroom fan, you would also love this Simple Cream Of Mushroom Soup. Hearty, satisfying and so good!