You guysss, I am addicted to buying kitchenware! Online shopping makes it TOO convenient for you to just purchase things in a mere few clicks. I just bought mason jars. Not one, not two but I bought a whole dozen coz it was cheaper that way. If one cost six bucks and a dozen cost forty bucks, I have to buy a dozen. Yes that is how my sick mind works. As nutty as a fruitcake.
I can’t help it when I have such nice shopping buddies who start suggesting nice things to buy. Like I was looking at a gorgeous plate in white and one of my shopping buddy, Amazon would auto suggest a couple of other plates that are equally gorgeous and when you can’t decide which one you should be buying, you end up buying both. That is a normal thing to do obviously. (?)
I’m especially obsessed with cupcake printed/shaped/embossed stuff! They are so cute!! If I was just five
twenty years younger, I would dress up in a cupcake dress, with pink frills and colorful sprinkles all over the dress. How cute would I look with a cherry shaped hair clip on me? Sadly, at this age, dressing up like a Christmas tree would be more apt.
Talking about Christmas tree, It’s four more months to Christmas! I am already silently planning a Christmas menu right at the back of my mind. Roasts, pecan tarts, non-alcoholic raspberry mojitos, pecan tarts, chocolate mousse, pecan tarts and more pecan tarts. Riya, if you are reading this, make a DOUBLE BATCH OF THOSE PECAN TARTS PLEASE!!! I promise a double layer of that white chocolate mousse for you on your birthday.
I know that most people crave for desserts (Read: chocolates and cheesecakes) most of the time but I get serious cravings for salads and especially the Super Delicious Grilled Vegetables. I made those for last Christmas too. The charred eggplant, the crunchy and sweet carrots, the sweet and creamy butternut squash. It is all coming back to me. Pardon the drool.
I did a Cheesy Twice Baked Butternut Squash last night for dinner and it was amazing. In-fact for a squashy fan like me, It was the perfect dinner. There were cheese, mushroom, garlic and herbs. Basically all of my favorite things. It was Triple C’s.
Creamy. Cheesy. Comforting.
Firstly, the butternut squash is roasted and then the flesh is scooped out and mashed with cheese and all things yummy. At this point, you can either pile the butternut squash in a baking dish or just stuff it back into the squash, with some caramelized garlic + onions + mushrooms and finally top with more cheese before baking for a second time.
I think I heard a loud “Whoa” somewhere. Or was it just my inner soul screaming out loud?
- 1 small butternut squash (I used ½ of a large squash)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup diced bacon - sliced and fried (I didn't add any)
- 1 cup fresh button mushrooms - sliced
- 0.5 cup cheddar cheese
- 0.5 cup mozarella cheese
- 2 tbsp parmesan
- 1 clove of garlic - chopped
- 1 small onion - sliced
- 0.5 tsp mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
- Basil for garnishing
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Halve each butternut squash lengthwise and remove the seeds.
- Place cut side up on a baking sheet.
- Drizzle with 1 tbsp of olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill until tender. Took me about 40 minutes for a large squash.
- In a frying pan, saute sliced onions for 2 minutes. Add in chopped garlic and saute for another minute.
- Finally, add mushrooms and cook till lightly caramelized. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the squash is cool enough to handle, carefully scoop out the flesh into a bowl and mix in the sauteed ingredients.
- Mix in dried herbs, Parmesan cheese and half of the cheddar.
- Place the squash in a baking dish or alternatively, you can bake the squash in the squash shell too.
- Top with the mozzarella and remaining cheddar. If you are using bacon, add that in too.
- Bake for another 15 minutes.
- Once out of the oven, top with basil.