Now here’s a dish to get you all spiced up and brave the cold days! I made this Thai Red Curry Chicken Meatballs last weekend and here’s the thing, I don’t think I have ever made chicken meatballs. It has always been beef/lamb so being the adventurous person I aspire to be, I was game to try something new. This dish is basically inspired by the classic Thai Red Curry but instead of the usual chicken chunks, we used chicken meatballs instead.
As many of you would have realized by now, Thai cuisine is a powerhouse of spices and herbs. I love the usage of ingredients like cilantro, basil, galangal, ginger and many more. When all the flavours combine, the results are always something lip-smacking.
This Thai Red Curry Chicken Meatballs is the kinda dish that tastes better as it “sits” because the meatballs get a chance to soak in all the flavours of the gravy. Meatballs chilling in gravy = extra delicious and extra moist meatballs. #meatballslessonfordummies. This is the kinda recipe that you can make for dinner and savour the leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch. I mean if there are gonna be any left.
Now, my friends, if you are thinking, should I bother making the mango salsa portion of this recipe? Let me put it to you, think about that moist slice of rich chocolate cake. It’s decadent and oh so perfect! You suddenly have zero complaints about life. Then someone tops that moment of heavenly goodness with a scoop of vanilla ice cream, bringing it to another level of greatness you haven’t even considered possible! Yes, this mango salsa does just that to this dish (if not more). It complements the Thai Red Curry Chicken Meatballs like how Ross Geller will always be Rachel Green’s lobster. (Sidebar: Yes, I am currently re-watching F.R.I.E.N.D.S all over again before it leaves Netflix in 2020).
My cousin aka NK was over at the new place and she, always the lucky one, got to try this dish. Even she loved it and I bet you would fall in love with the dish too. So, if you are looking for an exciting new twist to classic recipes to try, this Thai Red Curry Chicken Meatballs is a must. It is easy to throw together too, so you can easily cook a great dinner for the entire family. Now that I’ve perked your appetite, go grab a bottle of red Thai chill paste and some mangoes.
You can thank me later.
- 500g ground chicken
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 clove garlic, grated
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp vegetable/olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 large onion, sliced/chopped
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 cup snow-peas
- 1-inch fresh ginger, grated
- 3 garlic, grated
- 3 tbsp Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup of coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro or basil, roughly chopped
- 1 mango, diced
- 1 red chilli or jalapeno pepper, sliced
- juice and zest from 1 lime
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt to taste
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
- Combine all of the chicken meatballs ingredients in a bowl and mix well.
- Roll the meat into tablespoon-size balls and place them on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. (Note: Meatballs will get smaller as it bakes)
- In a pot/skillet, heat both the oil and add the shallots. Saute till translucent
- Add ginger and garlic and saute for a further 30 seconds.
- Mix in the red curry paste and saute for another minute or two.
- Add the bell peppers and cook till the peppers soften.
- Mix in the fish sauce and the coconut milk.
- Add the baked meatballs, snow-peas and bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Top with chopped cilantro/basil.
- In a small bowl, combine the mango, chilli, lime zest, salt and sugar.
- Serve the meatballs and sauce over a bed of rice and top with the mango salsa.