Mee Goreng a.ka Mi Goreng is a stir fry noodle recipe that is popular in both Singapore and Malaysia. Mee Goreng literally translates as Fried noodles. It is slightly spicy tossed with some protein and vegetables. There are so many variations of this Mee Goreng but this is a fairly basic recipe. Delicious nevertheless!!!
So, how is Ramadan treating you guys? The weather has been really hot over here. It actually gave me more reasons to make jugs of this Watermelon Coconut Cooler and also Melon and Cucumber Aqua Fresca. Anything to beat the heat! Come to think of it, we do not fast for such long hours compared to other parts of the world. Basically, we fast for about 14 hours only, which is really manageable. 🙂
Anyways, back to this Mee Goreng recipe. Just as I’ve said earlier, there are no exact rules about what goes in this dish. I used prawns, fishcake and fish ball. Feel free to use beef, chicken or even different types of seafood. In fact, you can just use eggs too or go completely vegetarian.
Mee Goreng might be a “street food” but you can definitely re-create this at the comfort of your home with this quick Mee Goreng Recipe. Although I have used yellow noodles in this, this recipe works with almost any kind of noodles, even your humble instant noodles.
Watch the recipe video:
- Ingredients to be blended!
- 20 Dried chillies
- 1 large onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- Other ingredients:
- 800g Yellow noodles
- 3 tbsp oil
- 300g prawns, (shelled)
- 200g Fishballs
- 200g Fishcake
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- Greens (Kailan or sio pek chye. You can use beansprouts too)
- Salt (See notes)
- Spring onion/chives
- Calamansi lime
- Heat oil in work/frying pan.
- Saute blended ingredients till nice and fragrant.
- Add prawns and cook for 2 minutes.
- Mix in fishball and fishcake and continue cooking for a few more minutes.
- Add some water if it get too dry.
- Add oyster sauce and tomato sauce.
- Add noodles and mix well.
- Finally add greens and stir fry for a few more minutes.
- Top with spring onion and calamansi lime halves.