Current addiction ——> This Melon and Cucumber Aqua Fresca! ♥️ This drink is officially one of my favorites right now! Refreshing and so so good!!
Agua fresca translates to “fresh water” and are traditionally made with pureed fruit, water, sugar and splash of lime juice.
It is easy to make as you do not need any fancy equipment except for a blender/food processor to puree the fruit. Best of all, it can be made in advance, thus it is perfect for a crowd as you can pre-prepare it hours ahead of time and just let it chill away in the fridge. For the ideal flavor, be sure to start with a sweet, ripe fruit. Look for the ripest fruit available as it would require you to use less sugar plus a ripe fruit would give you the best tasting Aqua Fresca.
Conversely, I love melons of all varieties but this is exceptionally good with cantaloupe or watermelon. By no means are you limited to fruits, so you can really experiment with almost all types of fruits. For extra freshness and natural sweetness, I also added a handful of cucumber slices.
The weather has been really hot recently and that’s why light, summery drinks like this Melon Agua Fresca with Cucumber is just the perfect cooler. A touch of mint would be good as well, however I didn’t have any that day. You can also infuse stronger herbs like basil, rosemary and thyme if you prefer.
You can top the drinks off with some sparkling water just before serving if you would prefer a little fizz in you Aqua Fresca.
To be frank, I wished I had a cantaloupe in my kitchen right now as all I can only think of is a big mug (or 2) of this agua fresca! In fact, I am going to be making more varieties of aqua fresca to beat the heat.
Not so Fun fact, it is basically hot almost every day in Singapore so there would never be a time when I do not need a glass of aqua fresca. For now, I have strawberries pineapple and mango in my mind.
Soon baby soon.
- 1 whole cantaloupe, cut into chunks (about 6 cups)
- 3.5 cups water
- 4 tbsp sugar, diluted into half a cup of hot water
- 1-2 limes (Use 1 if you like it mild. I used 2)
- 1 cucumber, sliced
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- In a blender, add cantaloupe and water and blend until smooth. Do this in batches.
- Pour through a fine strainer/cheesecloth and discard the pulp.
- Pour juice into a large pitcher and add lime juice.
- Sweetened with the sugar syrup according to taste.
- Add cucumber slices and keep chilled in the fridge until ready to serve.
- Garnish with mint before serving.