Full Disclaimer: This might NOT be the most appealing of picture BUT it packs a punch of flavours, so don’t knock it till you tried it!
Grilled Chicken in Milk.
I’m guessing that’s going to sound like a weird combination of ingredients to many but have faith my friends if not in me, at least to our Naked Chef: Jamie Oliver. I promise you will be so obsessed! Boy, that felt good to have both me and him in a sentence and let’s not judge him just because he added some water to his Fried Rice.
Anyhoo, if you’ve never had grilled chicken in milk, you’re in for a real treat.
I’ve now made this many times and I am still loving it. Succulent, ease of impromptu preparation with easy to get pantry ingredients. Did I mention that the chicken literally falls off the bones?
I love how the recipe requires you to brown the chicken first before grilling. Browning meats always add an extra layer of flavour! Although Jamie recipe uses sage, I have tried this with rosemary too and it was equally delicious! The chicken is crazy tender and I’m guessing it is the “magic” of milk + lemon which is basically buttermilk.
Perfect for a crowd, and do-ahead, simply pair this dish with some mash and wilt some greens. The sauce from the chicken already makes the perfect gravy, infused with lemon, cinnamon and sage. I served the grilled chicken with these Roasted Garlic Parmesan Potatoes by the side and everyone mopped the sauce with the potatoes.
It was beyond perfect. You can thank me (and Jamie) later.
- 1 whole chicken (about 1.5kg)
- 100g salted butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ a cinnamon stick
- 1 bunch of fresh sage or rosemary
- 2 lemons, zested and take 2 tbsp of lemon juice
- 10 cloves of garlic - keep whole
- 550 ml full cream milk
- Salt and black pepper to season
- Preheat the oven to 190ºC.
- Season the chicken generously with sea salt and black pepper
- In a dutch oven, melt 100g of butter and brown the chicken, turning to get an even colour all over.
- Remove from the heat, put the chicken on a plate, and throw away the butter.
- Place 2 tbsp of olive oil in the dutch oven and saute the garlic for 30 seconds.
- Pour in the milk, lemon zest, lemon juice, cinnamon and sage/rosemary.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Put the chicken back in the pot.
- Cook in a pre-heated oven for 1 hour 30 minutes, turning the chicken halfway through.
- Delicious served with wilted greens and some potato.
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see your creations let me know by snapping a pic and tagging @mayakitchenette on Instagram.