Greetings from the Lion City! How’s everyone doing? It’s officially February. My my, where did January go? It seems like in a couple of winks, it might even be January again! Coming back to the short month of February, did you know that the Roman month Februarius was named after the Latin term februum, which means “purification”. No, I totally didn’t google that.
I have always seen January as the month for “detox and restart” with all the new goals and revolutions. For me, February is just a month with pretty desserts, roses costing 4 times more and couples flaunting their “affection” on social media.
No. I’m not jealous.
I rather Netflix with a bowl of this Delicious Creamy Chicken Soup instead. (I don’t mind the pretty Valentine’s Day desserts though). I’m not sure if this soup is right up the “purification” alley of February but with celery, carrots and mushrooms it has to count!
For me, there’s always something a little magical about soups. This Delicious Creamy Chicken Soup features nice chunks of mushrooms, corn and a good amount of veggies. I actually used fresh corn but feel free to use frozen. Most of my recipes are adaptable as always. No two person are alike, so if you don’t like celery, try zucchini instead. I have always loved how celery cooks up in soups. Soft and slightly sweet —totally my kinda thing. I wish I could say the same when it’s raw though.
This soup is creamy, comforting and glorious and it so just say alarmingly easy to eat bowl after bowl. Now, should I decide to open up a mini bistro (sans alcohol) one fine sunny day, I would most definitely be selling mostly soups and salads, with focaccia by the side. I am convinced that warm soups are happy food for both the body and soul. I have cooked enough soups to come to that conclusion.
Do check out the how-to recipe video below.
Oh if you’re in the mood, why not check out more of my soup recipes too:
French Onion Soup with Garlic Croutons
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400g chicken breast, cut into 1-inch chunks
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 garlic, grated
- A few sprigs of thyme
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic, minced/grated
- 250g button/cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- ½ cup corn, fresh or frozen
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup milk
- ½ cup whipping cream
- Salt and black pepper to season
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and garlic.
- Heat olive oil in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add chicken to the stockpot and cook until golden for a few minutes. Set aside
- In the same pot, melt butter. Add onion and saute for 2 minutes. Add garlic and saute for another minute.
- Add celery, carrot and thyme.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until almost tender, for about 10 minutes.
- Add in flour and cook for about 1 minute.
- Add mushroom and pour chicken stock.
- Mix in corn, chicken and cook for 5 minutes.
- Pour in milk and cream
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Garnish with parsley.