I am sitting in front of the PC, working AND staring at this picture and thinking “If only I had Prawns in the freezer.”
No Prawns, no cauliflower right now, so all I can do is to dream about this creamy, deliciousness. Ah, what a gorgeous memory! *lick lips*
I am looking forward to the long weekend. Friday —-> Monday. ????
Good Friday + Weekends + Easter. Next week, Tuesday gonna be the new Monday. You know the feeling when you are away from work for four days and you have to finally go back to reality on the fifth day? Ain’t gonna be easy! May the force be with me.
So back to last night’s dinner. I personally love mashed potatoes, especially if it comes with a yummy sauce and caramelized onions, and perhaps even some sausages piled on top, like this one. ↓
Yummy… in fact too yummy that I might end up having 2 or even 3 servings.
This Cauliflower Mash and Spicy Prawns on the other hand would make you feel less guilty even if you had an extra serving. If black is the new white, then cauliflower is definitely the new potato. You get what I mean, right? If not, it’s okay. At times, I don’t understand myself either. *shrug*
Cauliflower mash is the perfect low carb substitute for mashed potatoes. Cauliflower on it’s own can be pretty bland but this mash gets its flavor from the stock, garlic and a touch of butter. The butter is compulsory but let’s not compromise on the taste shall we? The spicy prawns are a no-brainer. I just seasoned it with some smoked paprika, cumin, garlic, black pepper before pan frying them. It was delicious and we are talking about big, fat and juicy prawns!
This really is an easy quick meal idea for those busy weekdays. The recipe itself is very versatile. Although I cooked the cauliflower in some stock and milk, but you can also just cook them in water if you prefer, however I have to say that if you want added flavor.. cooking with stock is the way to go. You do not have to serve the mash with prawns. It goes well with almost everything. Chicken, turkey bacon, eggs. etc. The world is really your oyster in this case.
This Cauliflower Mash and Spicy Prawns is the perfect recipe for dinner as 30 minutes are all that you need. Plus all the yumminess at a fraction of the calories. Major ????????????????
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ½ cup extra vegetable or chicken broth (if the mash is too thick)
- 1 14-ounce can white beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup shredded cheddar
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- Salt and pepper to season
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 500g prawns - shelled and deveined
- 2 garlic, chopped
- ½ tsp smoked paprika/cayenne
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- Salt to season
- Heat the olive oil in a pot and saute the garlic and cauliflower for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk and 2 cups of broth.
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until soft.
- Once soft, add the white beans and mash these till smooth. If you prefer rough bits, you can just mash it roughly to get a chunky texture.
- If the mash is too thick, add the reserved broth.
- Stir in black pepper, butter, salt and cheese.
- In a frying pan, add oil and saute garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add the prawns and mix in all the seasonings.
- Season with salt and cook for a few minutes, till done.
- Place some mashed cauliflower on a plate.
- Top with the prawns and serve with a side of salad/greens.