I’m not sure how should I start. Either by playing the track, Ben Affleck and Jennifer Lopez saying “I do” in Sin City or telling y’all the fact that I had a video for this recipe but it got kinda screwed up during the filming.
Since I have already given you the breaking news about the video getting messed up, lets move on to this recipe.
Whenever I think about summer, cold drinks and desserts are among the few things that pop up in my mind.
Agar-agar is a natural vegetable gelatin counterpart. It has been around for quite a while and it is very popular in Asian desserts. Over the recent few years, it has gained quite a lot of recognition around the world. It is often used to make jellies or as a setting agent in desserts.
In this jelly recipe, I have used watermelon, mango, kiwi and dragonfruit but peaches and berries would work too. Infact you can also use canned fruits like lychee, longans or rambutan. Obviously an assortment of colorful fruits would make these look really pretty.
If cutting up a whole watermelon is not something you enjoy, feel free to serve these in little glasses. Just cut up all the fruits, place them in a pretty glass and top it with the agar agar to set the jelly. If you would like to see how I cut up the watermelon, simply head over to my Instagram as I have a little video that shows this process.
Do give this Watermelon Fruit Jelly recipe a try if you need something simple for dessert. Think light, colorful and refreshing. Obviously this is something that kids would equally enjoy and best of all, it beats them having sugar laden candy that also consist of ingredients which you can barely pronounce!
- 1 packet agar-agar powder (10g)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1200ml water
- 1 whole watermelon, halved
- Assorted fruits, cut into cubes (I used watermelon, kiwi, mango and dragon fruit)
- In a pot, add water and cook the agar-agar and sugar till it boils. Set aside till it cools slightly.
- Cut the watermelon in half. Use a spoon to hollow out the inside.
- Cut half of the watermelon into cubes. Rest of the watermelon can be eaten.
- Drain the juice from the watermelon shell.
- Add your choice on fruits to the watermelon half.
- Repeat the same with the other watermelon half, if using.
- Pour the agar-agar mixture over the fruits till almost full.
- Place the watermelon into a pan if necessary, and refrigerate for a few hours or till set and cold.
- Remove from refrigerator and cut into slices and serve.