If you are not a tea drinker that doesn’t mean you should skip this post as this recipe can be made with coffee too. You can replace the tea with some brewed coffee or a shot of espresso. Yup, both tea and coffee lovers can rejoice with this recipe!
I am SO excited to share this recipe! ♥
Pumpkins are amazing aren’t they? When I’ll be a mom, I am gonna nickname my kid pumpkin. #randomthoughts
I bloody love pumpkins as they are not just delicious, they can be used in so many different ways!
- Roasted – I can eat this every day.
- In soups
- Pumpkin seeds are amazing and nutritious.
- For scaring people. Well, you know those scary faces that people carve out of them during Halloween?
I was fasting yesterday and as usual after not eating for about 14 hours, the cravings started to kick in. This time round, I was craving for a Pumpkin Spice Latte. Hot, creamy with a slight hint of spice. If Starbucks was just 5 minutes away from my house, I would have got my instant gratification fix but hei, since Starbucks wasn’t anywhere near my place, I had to be a rock star and made this Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte from scratch.
Since I do not consume coffee, I used tea instead. But just as I said, you can substitute the tea for coffee, and you can opt to use any type of tea you prefer. I used spice chai however If English breakfast tea or Earl Grey rock your boat, please use that.
So basically you start by preparing the Pumpkin Spice Mixture. In a pot, you add canned real pumpkin with brown sugar, vanilla and pumpkin spice. Cook this for about 3 minutes or till the brown sugar has melted. Once cool, keep this mixture in a jar and you can store this in the refrigerator and have glasses and glasses of Pumpkin Spice Latté and live happily ever after. *twirls and twirls*
I used a premix pumpkin spice that I bought. If you want to be a bigger rockstar than me, you can make your own pumpkin spice by mixing the following ingredients
- 1/3 cup ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1.5 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1.5 teaspoons ground allspice
Mix everything in a jar and there you have your own pumpkin spice.
To make the Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte for two, you would mix about 2-3 tablespoons of the pumpkin spice mixture to about 1 cup of hot milk. I used low-fat milk but you can use any milk that you prefer. Into this, you would add half a cup of tea and whisk well before you add some more creaminess to the latte. This is really optional, but I don’t think you should skip this step as it makes this chai latte more creamy and delicious. So yes, kindly dollop a good amount of whipped cream right on top of that glass! Sprinkle with a leetle beeet of that pumpkin spice and you are done. You can of course decorate it with a cinnamon stick to make it all fancy, which kinda backfired in my case as when I passed one of this latte to my mom, her first question was “what do I do with this cinnamon stick?” I had to take it back. So much for me trying to be posh spice. (Read: Loser)
This recipe is just fantabulous. I am so so in love with this creamy and velvety Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte! The real pumpkin gave body to this latte, the warm spices heats up your body and the cream on top makes this so fancy despite the fact that you are sipping this in the comfort on your own home, in your PJs.
I do have more of the Pumpkin Spice Mixture in my fridge. Here’s to many more Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte to come!!
- 1 cup real pumpkin puree
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon pumpkin spice (more if you love spice)
- Fat pinch of salt
- 2-3 tablespoons Pumpkin Spice Base
- 1 cup low-fat milk (or almond milk if you prefer)
- 1 chai tea bag (steep in ½ cup of hot water)
- Whipped cream
- Pinch of pumpkin spice
- Mix all of the base ingredients together in a pot and cook for about 3 minutes or until the brown sugar has melted.
- Once cool,
placein a bottle or container and store in the refrigerator. This keeps for about 10-14 days.
- Pour ½ cup of boiling water over the chai tea bag. Leave it to steep while proceeding to the next step.
- Heat milk in a saucepan or microwave until steaming hot. Whisk to make it frothy.
- Add in 2-3 tbsp of the pumpkin spice mixture into the milk and whisk well.
- Start with 2 tbsp of pumpkin spice mix first and add another tablespoon if you want it to be more flavorful and sweet.
- Pour the milk + pumpkin mix into the tea.
- Top with some whipped cream and a pinch of pumpkin spice.
Where can i buy the pumpkin? This is just wow!
Hi Dani. I usually buy mine from Cold storage or Redmart online. 🙂
Love your recipe. Haven’t heard of chai or tried it until a few months ago and after my first one, I had to have more I was hooked. I also love anything with pumpkin so this will be great to have instead of my standby, which is chocolate. Do you have a chocolate one? I would love to get this from you. If so, please send to my email. Thanks Karen
I do not take coffee, so chai (tea) always works for me. Do you mean a chocolate chai latte?