Kuih Jongkong is delicious but those authentic ones wrapped in banana leaves ain’t easy to find. I have been craving for this but I was lazy to make some just to satisfy my cravings :p
A few days back, mom’s good friend came over to Iftar. While talking to her on the phone a day before the meet up, she was saying that she bought some kuih jongkong which tasted really off and its so difficult to find good kuih jongkong nowadays. So I decided to make some for her.
She was full of praises for the kuih and she said that I was very good with the banana leaves as I could fold it nicely. She obviously didn’t know that I struggled while wrapping this! She added that, it takes some skills to wrap with just 1 sheet of leaf coz most people would use 2. Ah…the nice things that people say when you give them good food! 😉
- 100g rice flour
- 200 ml thick coconut cream
- 4 screw-pine leaves (Daun pandan)
- 800ml water
- 200 ml coconut cream mixed with ¼ tsp salt
- 2 palm sugar - chopped
- Banana leaves - Clean and warm the leaves over the fire so that it is more pliable.
- ¼ tsp salt
- Blend screw-pine leaves with some water (From the 800ml)
- Stain and combine all the ingredients and cook over slow fire for about 15-20 mins till mixture thickens.
- Place 1 heap tbsp of cooked mixture in the middle of a banana leaf.
- Drizzle with 2 tbsp of coconut milk and top with some chopped palm sugar.
- Fold the leaves and secure with a toothpick.
- Steam for 15 minutes.