Have you ever had the experience of discovering a new recipe and then feel like making it every other day? I have always thought that baby carrots are meant to be grilled and their big brothers are better in curries or stews. Then I made these grilled carrots and my niece and I literally devoured them as if we were bunnies. They were like candy. Sweet, delicious, and addictive; in a good way though!!
Carrot sticks might have a place in the hearts of some people (me excluded) but roasted carrots have certainly made their way into my life. We are talking about caramelized edges, tender sweet on the inside plus that sticky butter-garlicky goodness. It feels like voodoo to me!! We were literally eating these off the tray.
I am a huge fan of grilling vegetables. If there is something I can eat on a daily basis, it has to be grilled veggies like this one! The oven has unique ways of intensifying the flavors of even the most boring vegetables. I am sure there are many other recipes out there but these grilled carrots are really super basic. We certainly want our food to taste good but at the same time, we do not want to mess them up too much.
I mean carrots are healthy after all. Why would we want to drench them with maple syrup especially when they already are naturally sweet on their own? No offense is intended to people who are in a habit of doing this. I am good with olive oil, garlic, and salt + pepper approach. However, I did sneak in a tablespoon of butter towards the end but that is really optional.
These delicious grilled carrots are the perfect accompaniment to steaks, roasted lamb, grilled chicken, etc. I mean why does it have to be mashed potatoes all the time.? Give these carrots a chance y’all!
- 1kg carrots, peeled and ends trimmed (Note 1)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- A sprig of fresh rosemary
- ¾ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
- 1 tbsp butter (optional)
- Parsley for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Cut the carrots on the diagonals.
- Place on a tray, drizzle with oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Add rosemary and toss well
- Grill for 30-40 minutes till almost tender.
- Remove it from the oven and lower the temperature to 200°C.
- Add garlic and butter to the carrots, giving it a good flip.
- Continue roasting for another 15-20 minutes till fork-tender and the surface of the carrots are caramelized.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve!