The pictures in this post aren’t very pretty, but how many times have our mamma’s taught us that it is more important to be beautiful on the inside, than the outside?
The wise Paulo Coelho once said, “We can never judge the lives of others, because every person knows only their own pain and renunciation”. True that! Only I know how it felt when I had to take pictures for my blog readers under the watchful eyes of my brother who was already seated on the dining table, waiting for his dinner. (Read: I was snapping pics of his dinner)
It was just a matter of a few seconds. Click, click, click and I was done. I didn’t even check if the room was properly lit and whether the camera angle was appropriate.
I do not like corned beef. I mean what is there to like about it? IT IS –
Packed with salt
High in sodium
Not yummy at all.
DO I need more reasons? I have never placed a can of corned beef in my supermarket cart, till last Tuesday. Earlier this year, I saw a recipe shared by a local celebrity and at that time I thought it looked “interesting” enough. Six months down the road, finally I remembered about it a couple of days ago and yes, I gave in to my temptation and bought a can of that “processed stuff”
This Corned Beef Potatoes and Eggs were very well received by the family. My brother was in love with it and requested for the same, the very next day. Adding boiled potatoes actually helps in reducing the saltiness of the corned beef and of course there are the eggs too. Who doesn’t love eggs, right?
Ok fine, I know there are people that actually do not enjoy eggs. In the recent past, I’ve never been that excited about eggs. If you ask which came first, the chicken or the egg, I am that sort of person that I will answer chicken anytime and everytime.
But sometimes eggs taste unbelievably good especially when they are,
- Hanging out on a plate with some turkey bacon and hash-brown
- In between slices of bread with all that lettuce, mayonnaise and black pepper.
- poached and then dressed with a spoonful of hollandaise sauce.
This Corned Beef Potatoes and Eggs are perfect for dinner or breakfast/brunch. It is super simple and if you already boiled the potatoes prior to cooking this, the whole dish would take you a mere 15 minutes or so. Ok maybe 20 minutes if you include toasting the bread, getting the cutlery, the napkins, you know, those kinda frills. I thought to let the pictures do most of the talking this time round.
While waiting for the corned beef to hang out with the spices for 2 minutes, you can either have a glass of red wine or a bar of kit kat. Either would take you a couple of minutes but in my case, I only need 30 seconds.
- 6 eggs
- 3 potatoes - boiled and cut into large cubes
- 1 can of corned beef
- 2 green chillies - slice
- 1 large onion - sliced
- 2 clove of garlic - chopped
- 1 tsp ground coriander seeds/coriander powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin/cumin powder
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped cilantro for garnishing
- Sauté onions, chillies and garlic till light golden.
- Add in the spices and give it a good mix.
- Add corned beef and fry for 2 minutes.
- Mix in potatoes and season with black pepper.
- Place the corn beef mixture in a baking dish. Make indents to break eggs into.
- Bake at 180c for 10 -12 minutes depending on how done you like the eggs to be.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro and serve with baguette.