Do you know that one bag of CHIA has the Omega-3 equivalent to 10 lbs of Salmon. Say whaaaaat? This is all new information for me too. Well, here at Maya Kitchenette, you can also count on us to improve your general knowledge every now and then. ♥
There is absolutely no reason to give these little seeds a pass. The health benefits found in Chia can somewhat be overwhelming at times for something that is this small in size. Despite their size, they are full of nutrients and have a lot of positive health benefits!
I personally like to include Chia in my breakfast. Besides adding them into my smoothies, I also make puddings out of them. I am almost addicted to these puddings I think!
What is a Chia pudding?
Chia pudding is basically chia seeds that have been soaked in liquid (most often, milk) and this has to be kept in the fridge overnight and it turns into a simple breakfast pudding. The procedure is quite similar to overnight oats. You can really use any type of milk that you prefer, be it soy milk, almond milk or fresh milk.
5 reasons to love Chia.
- Chia seeds are rich in calcium and other minerals that supports dental health, i.e strong teeth and bones.
- They support a boost in energy by providing you with the nutrients your body needs to thrive.
- A serving of Chia seeds has 18% of the recommended daily intake for calcium. So yes, it is definitely helpful in preventing osteoporosis.
- Chia seeds are high in dietary fiber.
- Since these seeds are a great source of protein, vegetarians, especially can benefit from these seeds.
This Coconut Chia Pudding is delicious and it feels like I was having a dessert for breakfast! This is especially perfect for breakfast as it is super-satisfying and it keeps you full for an adequate amount of time. Even if you are having the craziest and busiest of days, you can still make time to have this for breakfast.
If you can’t have a sit-down breakfast, this makes a good on-the-go breakfast too. You are free to add any fruits or nuts that you prefer. Just mix together the ingredients the night before, pop it in the fridge, and you would experience a delightful and nutritious treat on the next day. How much easier can it possibly be?
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons chia seeds
- 2 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- Pineapple chunks
- Coconut flakes
- Stir together the coconut milk, chia seeds and maple syrup in a mason jar.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Before serving, top the chia pudding with the toppings.