However, I am confused about two things.
Firstly, I wonder what I should name this cranberry sauce.
Delicious cranberry sauce?
Easy peasy cranberry sauce?
3 ingredients cranberry sauce?
Secondly, I question why do people buy canned cranberry?
I am not being judgmental really. It is really VERY easy to prepare cranberry sauce. You only need 15 minutes and it doesn’t take much effort at all.
Reasons why you should make your own cranberry sauce.
- This is the best time of the year for fresh cranberries.
- You can control the amount of sugar in the sauce.
- It is healthier than its canned counterpart.
- The color of homemade cranberry is gorgeous and it is wholly real.
- You can proudly declare that you prepared the cranberry sauce.
For those of you who are not familiar with cranberry sauce *raises eyebrows*, it is a sweet yet tart condiment that has the consistency of a jam. It is mostly consumed during Thanksgiving and Christmas and usually enjoyed with roasted turkey/chicken, meatballs, dinner rolls… etc..
Many people prefer to buy canned cranberry sauce for convenience. I assume they consider that preparing the cranberry sauce is tedious or time consuming. Let me tell you, it would actually take you more time to go to the store and buy a can of the cranberry sauce. If you can give only 15 minutes, you have to make this delicious sauce this Christmas. You can easily make it ahead of time. Just be sure to keep it covered and chilled and give it a quick stir before serving.
This Easy 3 Ingredients Cranberry Sauce uses only cranberries, sugar and orange juice. If you’re squeezing an orange for juice, you might as well go for that extra inch and zest the orange too. The zest makes this sauce all the more delicious. Do give this a try and impress everyone at the dinner table this Christmas, including your mother in law.
Whenever I can make something that comes out of a can or jar, I feel accomplished. When I first made mayonnaise, I knew Hellmann’s was not going to rip me off my $5 (per jar) again and when I made blueberry jam for the first time, I looked at the bottle of St. Dalfour jam and thought, “Well I make more delicious jam dude”. Now that I can actually create my own mouthwatering cranberry sauce, I am starting to smirk at those canned cranberry sauce whenever I walk pass those at the supermarket. Thanks to this bowl of redder than red deliciousness here.
- 1 (12-ounce) bag fresh cranberries, washed
- ½ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- Zest of 1 orange
- ⅔ - 1 cup sugar (depending on how tart the cranberries are)
- ½ cup water
- Keep aside ¼ cup of the cranberries.
- In a saucepan, combine cranberries, sugar, orange juice, orange zest, and water over medium heat. Cook, stirring occasionally and cook this for about 10 minutes.
- Finally, add the ¼ cup of reserved cranberries and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve once cool or store in the fridge.