In December and January, I did not need the air conditioner but come February, I do require it as well as many cups of this 3-ingredients Watermelon Lime Granita aka the perfect treat for hot summer days.
Nothing screams summertime like this sweet, light and refreshing watermelon lime granita. You get a little sweet and tang in each bite. It is best to use sweet watermelon to get maximum flavor and you can also use less sugar for the recipe!
A granita is an Italian semi-frozen dessert that is very simple to make. You only need 3 ingredients: watermelon, lime juice and simple syrup. If you are feeling lazy, you can just use sugar. First, you puree everything in a blender and then you freeze it in a metal pan (as it keeps the mixture colder) and then every 1 hour you scrape with a fork to create those chunky snow-like ice crystals. TOO easy. VERY delicious.
This Watermelon Lime Granita is hands-down one of the most refreshing summer desserts and it is such a great make ahead. It also keeps in the freezer for weeks! For those of you who would be fasting in April, do bookmark this recipe as it is such a perfect treat during Ramadan!!
Watch the video below.
- 6 cups of Fresh Watermelon, diced
- Juice of 1 large lime
- ¼ cup sugar (do adjust according to the sweetness of your watermelon)
- ¼ cup water
- In a small pot, cook water and sugar till the sugar is completely dissolved. Keep this simple syrup aside.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and process till smooth.
- This is an optional step but I like to strain the puree to catch any seeds or watermelon bits.
- Pour into a metal baking pan and freeze mixture for 1 hour or until semi firm.
- Using a fork, scrape granita to form icy flakes. Keep in freezer again.
- Repeat this step for 2-3 times until you get nice ice crystals.
- Serve in pretty glasses top with mint or a wedge of lime.