When you have a limited amount of time to cook, making a tasty main dish is still very much possible. This Tomato Chili Prawns dish is really simple and the sauce can be made in advance and store in the fridge for a few days or up to 2 weeks in the freezer. I personally feel that, with a little planning, it is way easier to get dinner on the table. I usually do my groceries shopping once a week and I make sure that I plan my menu for the whole week before heading out to the supermarket.
Anyways, this recipe is very versatile. You can dump in anything in there. Yup anything. From chicken to fish to squids and beef. If you are a vegetarian, try adding fried tofu or cubes of potato to this sauce. Raw, frozen peeled prawns can be used for convenience. You can also add some vegetables to this dish. Green peas, carrots or pineapple cubes would be a good choice. These tomato chili prawns are perfect with white rice or a slices of baguette mop up the sauce. I think it would go really well with pita bread too. Got to love it’s versatility!
- 600 g fresh prawns
- 2 onions - sliced
- 2 cloves garlic - crushed
- 12 dried chillies - sliced and soak in hot water for 5 minutes
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1-2 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tomatoes - cubed
- a large handful of cilantro - chopped
- 3 tablespoons of cooking oil
- salt to taste
- In a food processor, blend onions, dried chillies and garlic till fine.
- Pour oil in a frying pan and saute blended ingredients for about 10-12 minutes or till fragrant.
- Add in prawns and tomatoes.
- Season with salt and sugar and cook for about 8- 10 minutes.
- Top with a generous amount of chopped cilantro.