I did a poll sometime back asking my followers on INSTAGRAM as to which recipes they would like me to share on my blog and no surprise here, Thai cuisines received the bulk of the popular vote! I totally understand. Thai dishes are always delicious and often has a beautiful medley of flavours. The spice, the sweet and sour. I love how Thai cuisines uses a lot of herbs and aromatics. Cilantro, lemongrass and kaffir lime leaves are definitely my absolute favourite and this explains as to why I really love this Thai Green Curry Chicken recipe!
Thai Green Curry Chicken, also known as Gaeng Keow Waan, is one of the best-known dishes of Thai cuisine and you would literally see it on every menu in a Thai Restaurant.
I used store-bought green curry paste. If you are a superhero, you can go ahead and take out your mortar and pestle and pound ingredients like green Thai chillies, coriander seeds, lemongrass, galangal, basil leaves and a whole lot of other stuff. I’m gonna stick to the store-bought stuff cause it still tastes amazing with the addition of other ingredients. Pardon me if I am blowing my own horn, but this recipe tasted better than those green curry I had from Thai restaurants.
In Thailand, the curry is usually made with those little round eggplants. It is not that easily available so I stick to using bamboo shoots and some red pepper for the colour contrast. Feel free to omit the bamboo shoots if you prefer.
Do give this recipe a try if you are looking to cook a quick to throw together meal, yet super flavourful in 30 minutes. Perfect paired with steaming white rice and it is a great make ahead too. Feel free to use any chicken parts you prefer. Obviously chicken thighs are the best and oh, this recipe works with beef too!
Watch the video.
- 500g boneless chicken thigh/breast, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup thick coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 60g Thai green curry paste
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 inch ginger, sliced
- 1 tsp blended garlic
- 2 lemongrass, bruised
- 1 cup chicken stock, unsalted
- 2 tbsp brown sugar/palm sugar
- 1.5 tbsp fish sauce
- 4-5 kaffir lime leaves
- 1 cup cooked bamboo shoots, sliced
- ½ red bell pepper, julienned
- Thai basil for topping
- In a pot, add oil
- Saute the onion, lemon grass and ginger for 2-3 minutes
- Add the blended garlic and saute for another 20 seconds.
- Mix in the Thai curry paste and saute for about 2 minutes.
- Add the kaffir lime leaves and chicken pieces. Mix well.
- Pour in coconut milk and chicken stock.
- Season with fish sauce and brown sugar.
- Bring to a simmer and let simmer gently for about 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is fork tender.
- Once the curry is done simmering, add bamboo shoots and peppers.
- Taste and add more fish sauce and/or sugar as needed.
- Stir in Thai basil and serve this with white rice.