Hello lovelies! Ready for an easy and healthy recipe? #skinnymonday. We are talking about soft, silky tofu that is steamed with delicious soy sauce and topped with vegetables. It’s best eaten with rice, however delicious on it’s own too. This Steamed Tofu Recipe can easily be made vegan. Just substitute the fish sauce with more soy sauce!
If you are not a tofu fan as it can be “bland” you might still want to give this recipe a try because the sauce makes the whole dish flavorful. This is a totally adaptable recipe, since you can use different types of vegetables to top on the tofu. I think bok choy or broccoli would be good too! Love your proteins too much? Fret not, you can add slices of chicken, beef and even prawns!
We got to love recipes that are customizable based on the things you have in your pantry, Right?! Do check out the video of this Steamed Tofu Recipe in action below.
- 300g (1 package) soft tofu
- ½ of a carrot, julienned
- 5 fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- ½ small bell pepper, julienned
- 2 slices ginger, julienned (optional)
- 2 garlic, minced/chopped
- Cilantro/parsley for topping
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tbsp fish sauce
- 1½ tsp brown sugar
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Preheat the steamer so the water is on a boil
- Combine all sauce ingredients and stir to dissolve the sugar. Set aside
- Heat a little vegetable oil in a wok over medium high heat.
- Sauté garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add mushrooms and cook for a few minutes.
- Add carrot, bell peppers and a tablespoon of the sauce and sauté for another minute. Set aside
- Unmold the tofu onto a deep, heat resistant plate/bowl.
- Spread ginger juliennes on top of tofu if using.
- Pour all of the remaining sauce over the tofu.
- Place the tofu in the steamer and steam for 7-9 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and top the tofu with the vegetables.
- Garnish with cilantro or parsley.