What’s up, food lovers? It’s currently 3 AM here in Singapore while I am writing this blog post. I am a born night owl. I think better at night and my energy is literally at 100% when the moon is out. I’m not a morning person and waking up early is boring. As boring as Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg fight. I wanna see some serious fist-fighting. Not two grown men gonna yadaa-yadaa-yadaa.
Anyways, today, we’re diving into the wonderful world of finger foods with a recipe that is as fun to make as it is to eat. My mom absolutely loved these Sesame Prawn Toasts! Well, we all know that anything with prawns is basically seafood magic. *Sprinkles glitter dust*
Basically, you start with some shelled and deveined prawns. These get chopped and seasoned with some other ingredients to make it all yummy. We would then spread this mixture on the slices of bread before we sprinkle sesame seeds all over the prawn-topped slices. The sesame seeds really give your toast that extra crunch. We then proceed to fry the toast in some oil till golden and crispy. Delicious on its own and even more amazing with a side of sweet chili sauce for dipping. If you are not a fan of frying with oil, you can also air-fry these! Either way, these are guaranteed to tickle your taste buds and leave you craving for more.
These delightful morsels are ideal for tea gatherings, celebrations, outdoor outings, or any occasion you desire to savor moments of golden perfection. When preparing these for a group, make sure to slice them into bite-sized toasts, ensuring there’s an ample amount for everyone. It’s a well-known fact that your guests won’t be able to resist indulging in these treats!
- 300g prawns, peeled and deveined
- 1 egg white
- 1 stalk spring onion/scallion, chopped
- ½ tsp grated/minced ginger
- ½ tsp grated/minced garlic
- 1 tsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground white pepper
- 4 slices white bread
- ½ cup neutral cooking oil
- Chop the prawns with a knife or you can also use a food processor.
- In a bowl, mix all of the ingredients for the prawn paste, till you get a well mixed sticky paste.
- I like leaving the crust on for the toast for added crunch but feel free to trim it off if you wish.
- Roughly divide the paste into 4 equal parts. Spread one portion onto a piece of toast, right to the edges.
- Put sesame seeds onto a flat plate. With the shrimp paste side down, place the toast over. Gently press with your fingers to ensure sesame seeds are firmly stuck to the paste. Repeat to finish all pieces.
- Cut each piece of toast twice diagonally into 4 triangles.
- Heat up oil in a pan over medium heat. When the oil is hot enough, put in the triangle pieces with the sesame seed side facing down. Flip over when the first side becomes golden. When the other side browns, remove it from the pan and drain on some paper towel
- If you prefer to air-fry, preheat the air fryer at 200°C for 3 mins. Brush a thin layer of oil over both sides of the toast. When the air fryer is ready. Place in a single layer over the crisper tray with the sesame side facing up. Cook for around 3-4 mins until it browns.