Oh well, no worries, there is always Monday. Do you feel that you tend to eat cleaner on Mondays? Especially after all the things that you stuff yourself with over the weekend. The pizza, that slice of cheesecake and what-not.
Does your mind tell you that you should be having a kale salad on a Monday or even a tabbouleh to detox from the damages done over the weekend? My mind sometimes work that way. When I said sometimes, it means like 1 or 2 Mondays in a month. Don’t start thinking i am a pseudo-health-blogger-wannabe. To be frank, if cakes are healthy and low in calories, I would have a slice everyday. Fine, fine I’m lying; 2 slices. Minimum!
Anyways, what do you do when you have a whole bunch of very ripe bananas? You obviously make a banana bread! Personally, I enjoy a good banana bread. It has to be moist for sure. It is important to use very ripe bananas as this will add flavor and sweetness to your bread. The theory is, the uglier the banana, the better the bread!
Since I had some extremely ripe bananas sitting “not so pretty” on the counter-top, I decided to bake a banana bread, but this time I did the chocolate version. So at 2 am, I was measuring and mashing bananas to make this Moist Chocolate Banana Bread. Yup, my baking bug can never tell the time. If I want to bake at 2pm or 2am, it HAS to happen. The good thing about this bread is that, it’s a 1 bowl recipe and no mixer is needed. I love recipes that can be done with the old trusty wooden spoon.
This bread is glorious, chocolaty, Incredibly moist and definitely a keeper. Although I did a plain version for myself, but I can totally imagine that it would be decadent with some chocolate chips and crunchy walnuts. What about going to Elvis way and drizzling some peanut butter on top of the bread? Elvis sure knows his thing when he paired bananas with PB for his favorite sandwich. I personally loved that combo too!
This recipe is a great way to use up the very ripe bananas so, If you have some bananas that needs to be rescued, run to the kitchen and bake this Moist Chocolate Banana Bread now but if you ain’t got any, please run to the shop and get a bunch. You can thank me later for this beauty. I am not messing with you, every single bite is filled with glorious chocolate!
- 60 g bittersweet chocolate (60 cacao), broken into small pieces
- 75 g unsweetened cocoa powder
- 240 ml hot boiling water
- 350 g fine/castor sugar
- 180 ml melted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 3 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 190 g self raising flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 165c.
- Line a 23cm x 13cm loaf pan with baking paper and set aside
- In a large bowl add the bittersweet chocolate and cocoa powder. Pour hot water over both and whisk until smooth and chocolate is melted.
- Add sugar, vanilla and melted butter. Whisk to combine.
- Add eggs, one at a time, whisking in between each addition until smooth. Add mashed bananas, whisk until smooth and set aside.
- Add baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Finally add the flour just till it's well incorporated. Do not over-mix.
- Transfer batter into loaf pan ¾ of the way full.
- Bake the bread for 50-65 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely and then cut into thick slices.