I was supposed to write a blog post yesterday, but I was too busy watching cooking videos on YouTube and there was also Michael Buble’s Sway. Someone commented and said, “I want him to sing at my wedding!” and another girl said “Well, I just want him as my groom”.
I am still cracking up at that one. Well, who wouldn’t want him as a groom? 😉 That guy definitely has style and his voice can make me cry a river. Yes, pun very much intended.
Anyways, I had a whole bunch of Portobello that the guy at the market sold to me for a mere three bucks. I am blabbing about a whole bunch of very pretty and fresh Portobello here. He wanted to wrap up work asap and I was the lucky chosen one. It must have been my new Star wars T-shirt.
I love mushrooms, no wait. I LOVE MUSHROOMS and I can never get enough of them. I felt like having some mushroom soup, but I wanted a healthier version, sans the cream. Not that I hold anything against it as we are pretty much good friends. Just that, it is only the 3rd month into 2016 and the game-plan for healthier food options are still going pretty strong for now. Ask me once more in June.
Talking about June, do you guys know that it is approximately 90 days to Ramadan? I CAN’T believe it! I absolutely LOVE Ramadan, but I cannot say the same for Eid. I mean what is there to love when you can’t skip housework and just laze around in your favorite PJs that has a hole near the sleeves? Perhaps that is too much information for today.
Please get the image of me bumming around on my sofa with my holey PJS out of your head and focus on to these bowls right now. ????
I know this soup would leave you skeptical and I don’t blame you. Portobello mushrooms are generally darker mushrooms, thus it yielded a darker soup. Furthermore, there is no cream in the soup, so the dark side of this soup is really evident. Yes, this is an ugly duckling right here. But hey, this soup would make a swan out of you.
What this soup is:
Healthy, delicious and full of mushroom goodness
What this soup is not:
Unhealthy or laden with cream.
This Healthy Portobello Mushroom Soup is very easy to prepare and it is WAY healthier and much more delightful than those canned stuff. Healthier, tastier, fresher and that too in less than 30 minutes? You can’t beat that. Who needs Campbell?!
If you are looking for an authentic mushroom soup with the cream and everything else, you can check out my Easy and Classic Mushroom Soup instead!
- 2 tbsp flour
- 4 cups vegetable stock or vegetable stock
- 8 oz portobello mushroom
- 5 oz button mushroom or cremini mushroom
- 1 stalk of celery - cut into half
- 2 garlic- minced
- 2 tbsp butter (You can use 2 tbsp olive oil instead too)
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- In a pot, melt butter and saute garlic for 30 seconds.
- Add flour and cook this till the flour loses it's raw flavour. This takes about 1-2 minutes
- Mix in mushroom, celery and stock and bring this to a boil.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes.
- Remove half of the soup and the stalk of celery. Place this in a blender and process till smooth.
- Return the processed soup to the pot and simmer a few minutes.
- Season with black pepper and add salt if required.