Avocado has gained in popularity over the past few years and is known as a superfood now. It is not just healthy, but also smooth and creamy and its consistency works in a lot of recipes be it is savory dishes or even a dessert. They are known to grow throughout South and Central America for thousands of years. It is believed that avocado trees are native to South Central Mexico. Now avocados are being used in a lot of cuisines around the world and is no longer restricted to Mexican cuisine.
Five reasons why avocados are good for you.
- They are rich in nutrients.
- It is one of the few fruits that will provide you with good fats. It can potentially lower your bad cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Avocados are versatile. You can easily incorporate it your diet be it in a salad or chocolate mousse.
- It moisturizes and nourishes your skin.
- Avocado oil which is the natural oil pressed from the pulp of an avocado is good for cooking. It also has a very high smoke point that makes it great for frying with.
If I have to choose an ingredient that I can eat forever and ever, then it has to be an avocado. I’m literally obsessed with them. I like to have them on my toasts and in my salad and smoothies. I always have a few avocadoes stashed in my fridge and I prefer to buy the unripe ones and slowly let them ripe up on their own. If I want to consume the avocado soon, I just let them ripen up on the countertop as this would speed up their riping process.
Making this Healthy Chicken and Avocado Salad is a no-brainer at all. You just need to bring together a few ingredients, make a simple dressing and you are done. Best of all, there is no mayonnaise in the salad but it is still creamy due to the addition of the avocado. Although I used cilantro, feel free to use other types of herbs if you are not a fan of cilantro. Basil would work beautifully here too.
If you are an avocado fan like me or you are looking to incorporate more avocados in your diet, you might want to give the recipes below a try.
Caramelized Onions, Mushroom and Avocado Quesadillas
Best Salmon with Avocado Salsa
Avocado Caprese Salad
Vegan Avocado Mousse
Corn and Avocado Salsa
Skinny Avocado Smoothie
Chicken Avocado Burgers
- 1 cooked chicken breast (grilled, boiled or pan-fried. I pan-fried mine)
- 1 large avocado, cubed
- 1 cooked cob of corn (you can use canned corn for convenience)
- 5 cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ small onion, diced
- A handful of chives or green onion, sliced
- A handful of cilantro (optional)
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp sea salt or to taste
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Shred the chicken and place in a mixing bowl.
- Add tomatoes, corn, onion, spring onion and avocado to the mixing bowl.
- Add dressing ingredients to a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Drizzle over your salad and toss to combine.
- Top with cilantro, if preferred.