Can you believe we are already in the second week of January 2022?
I know I can’t.
Anyways, I hope all of you are doing well and getting in the momentum of things. Over here in Singapore, parents are busy with kids going back to school. It is even busier for those whose kids are going to school for the first time. Stories of yelling and lots of tears took over my Facebook timeline over the first week of January. Despite that, parents are all smiles. A few hours away from those
brats cuties can be helpful. Everyone needs their #metime I guess?
Knowing how January is such a busy period, I have kept the upcoming recipes pretty simple. Simple enough for you to spend minimal time in the kitchen, but delicious as well so that you would not need to resort to Foodpanda, grabfood, ubereats.. etc. I am a fan of these food ordering apps. Too big a fan I have to say. I mean it is incredibly convenient and the variety that they have to offer is amazing! On the flip side, Not a fan of the end of the month bills though. Like I always stare at my statement thinking there must be a mistake. I mean how much can 2 people eat right? Yes, there are some occasional “let me surprise my cousin with a meal” or “my brother deserves ice cream tonight”. Of course there are many times when I worked so hard and I deserved a couple of bubble teas. But still, such high bill??
Expenses aside, let’s kickstart January with this Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe. A popular dish in Chinese restaurants, one you can actually make it in the comfort of your own home. The chicken is fried and then coated with some sauce. A typical Chinese stir-fry with soy sauce, garlic, sesame oil..etc. Obviously this dish includes cashew too, I mean it is cashew chicken after all!
I love protein + veggies-one-dish kinda meals like this. At times, you are just too lazy to cook vegetables separately. Of course by “you”, I really meant me. If January is proving to be overwhelming for you too, don’t worry this recipe will let you have food on the table in a jiffy. This Easy Cashew Chicken Recipe is not only bursting with flavors, it is also a feast for the eyes with all the colorful vegetables in there!
Check out the video below.
- 400g chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ cup corn flour
- black pepper and salt (to season the chicken)
- 3 garlic cloves, grated/chopped
- 1 cm ginger, sliced
- 1 onion, cubed
- ¼ cup cashews
- Capsicum, cubed (i used a mix of colors)
- 8 dried red chilies, cut into small bite-sized pieces
- Spring onion for garnishing
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp corn flour
- To make the stir-fry sauce, combine the ingredients together in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Season the chicken with salt, pepper and toss with the corn flour.
- Fill a frying pan with ½ cup oil and heat over high heat.
- Shake off the excess flour from the chicken and add to the hot oil.
- Cook and keep flipping the pieces until the chicken is golden.
- Transfer to a tray lined with paper to drain.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add the dried chilies, garlic and ginger and fry for another 30 seconds.
- Mix in the cashews and fry for another minute.
- Add the capsicums and stir-fry for another minute or 2.
- Add the chicken and the sauce. Cook for a few minutes and garnish with spring onion.