Every once in a while, you come across a recipe that not only becomes a hit among your family members but also becomes a permanent part of your repertoire. An example would be this Thai coconut chicken soup which everyone just loves. Yours sincerely included.
The recipe I would be sharing today feels like the discovery of 2018 for me.
My mom is a big fan of naan/flatbread. I used to make yeasted flatbread quite often but I got
lazy busy and kind of stopped making them. I have seen a lot of bloggers and even Jamie Oliver making the hugely popular three ingredients flatbread and I have been wanting to give it a try. 6 months later, I finally tried it. Boy, I was really surprised!
This recipe has officially made its way into one of my favorite recipes. I mean an easy, soft flatbread recipe that is made without yeast? You’ll love how soft and pliable it is, making it perfect to use as wraps or as a naan to dunk into your curries. Make it thicker and you will get a delicious yet easy pizza base. The possibilities are really endless.
This flatbread is made with a base of yogurt, flour and baking powder. Yup, that is basically it! It takes just a few minutes on the stove top and no oven is needed. I can foresee myself keeping a tub of Greek yogurt in the fridge as I presume I am going to make this often.
Since I wanted to serve these flatbreads with curry, I preferred it to replicate like a naan. I brushed it with some melted butter + ghee which was infused with some garlic and chopped cilantro. I cooked it on a slightly higher heat so as to get the distinguished brown bits on it, just like the real naan and it was SO SO good! The added ingredients definitely gave the flatbread more flavor and I urge that you should do the same too.
Using basic pantry staples, you can have fresh hot bread on the table without the need to proof the dough. If you have some spare time, I suggest you to make the dough in advance and keep it at room temperature for a couple of hours or so, as this would yield even softer flatbreads! Make changes in the ingredients and you will have an endless array of tasty flatbreads to accompany any meal and best of all, it’s so darn easy!
3 Reasons why this recipe is a winner.
- My mom loved the bread.
- The bread remains soft even after several hours.
- It’s easy to prepare and barely takes you 30 minutes to have piping hot bread on the table. It took me longer than that to go to the grocery store.
If you are going to trust me on just one thing, then do make this Easy 3 Ingredients Flatbread. You’ll most likely never go “store-bought” again. Truth.
- 1.5 cups self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 - 1¼ cup plain Greek yogurt (start with 1 cup. Add more if required to form a ball of dough)
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp ghee
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro (or parsley)
- Add all the flatbread ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix together with a wooden spoon.
- Then use your hands to pat and bring everything together to form a dough.
- Dust a clean work surface with flour, then tip out the dough.
- Knead for a minute or so to bring it all together.
- Put the dough into a floured-dusted bowl and cover with a tea towel. Set aside.
- Peel the garlic cloves and crush them with a garlic crusher.
- Melt the butter/ghee in the microwave and stir through the garlic and cilantro. Set aside.
- Dust a clean work surface and rolling pin with flour, then divide the dough into 6 equal-sized pieces.
- With your hands, pat and flatten the dough, then use a rolling pin to roll each piece into 8 inches rounds.
- Preheat a non-stick pan and cook the flatbread for 90 - 120 seconds.
- Flip and cook for another minute.
- Once the bread is done, generously brush the flatbread with the garlic butter and pile onto a serving board.