Hello People! It is time for some Creamy Pesto Spaghetti!
If there is one thing that I wouldn’t buy in a jar, it is pesto. If you have never tasted homemade pesto, you are missing BIG TIME. It’s just like you have been eating pancakes sans maple syrup. Horror!
I have tried several brands of pesto and nothing lived up to my expectations. Homemade ones are really the way to go!
FIVE reasons as to why you must make your own pesto.
- It’s more delicious, than store bought.
- It’s healthier because you control the type and amount of oil used.
- It tastes fresher and the colour is more vibrant.
- It’s EASY to make.
- It’s more delicious than store bought
- It’s economical.
- AND it’s more delicious than store bought
Wait, when I said FIVE reasons, How come there are SEVEN?? *Shrugs*
Anyways, I have tried making pesto with different kind of nuts from walnuts to cashews and even pistachios. Pine-nuts still remains a favourite and cashews come in second. Well, if you still insist on using store bought, be sure to use one of a good quality. Don’t ask me which brand is good because I am all for home made. *inserts peace sign*
So back to this plate right here. Although this Creamy Pesto Spaghetti is completely vegetarian, feel free to add some shrimps if you prefer. Oh what about some bacon bits? You can even do some grilled chicken. I was definitely not going to miss the meat. Infact, I was very self-complacent with the extra chunks of cheese that i scattered as a topping.
This pasta is delicious and rich with the usage of pine-nuts and cream. Of course there is parmesan in the pesto too. Oh, you can easily use pecorino romano cheese as well if you prefer. Despite being rich, there is a distinct freshness about this pasta. Well you know how basil can work miracle especially in a glorified pesto. ❤
So it’s time for you guys to give this Creamy Pesto Spaghetti a try. Anything that is green is good for you right? Never mind if there is cream in this pasta. It’s GREEN people. ????
Erm, do I need to remind you yet again that homemade pesto is more delicious than store bought ones?
- 1 Pound spaghetti
- 3 cups fresh basil leaves
- ⅓ cup pine nuts
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves Garlic, Chopped
- 1 green chili/jalapeno
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- Salt to season
- Topping: Shaved parmesan or cubed cheddar/gruyere cheese
- In a dry skillet toast pine nuts over low heat until golden, for about 2-3 minutes
- In a blender, combine basil, ¼ cup olive oil, pine nuts, half of the garlic, jalapeno, Parmesan, and salt.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook spaghetti until al dente. Drain, reserving ½ cup pasta water.
- In a skillet, saute remaining garlic with 1 tbsp of olive oil. Add chili flakes and toss in the spaghetti. Add pesto to skillet and stir well.
- Finally add cream and stir in pasta water.
- Check for seasoning and serve pasta with some shaved parmesan or cheese cubes.