This Chinese Dry Chilli Chicken is a complete staple and go-to in my household. I have cooked this so many times and it’s always been such crowd-pleaser!Using very simple pantry ingredients like sweet soy sauce, sesame oil and dried chillies. It is a really easy recipe but huge on flavours.
You can use any part of the chicken but my personal favourite would be wings. The dried chillies make a whole lot of difference to the dish, so do try not to skip it. It’s not overwhelmingly fiery but you can reduce the number of red chillies if you prefer.
The key to making this dish perfect is to “stir fry” the chicken until the sauce has thickened to a sticky glaze. The chicken should be nicely glazed and with slight chars at the edges.
Note: With different soy sauce brands, there would have a different level of sodium do adjust the saltiness accordingly and use the recipe with a pinch of salt –or not!
Despite its simplicity, this Chinese Dry Chilli Chicken is simply irresistible and when served with a side of rice and stir fry vegetables, this is simply a well-rounded dish. Do have a go at this recipe and tell me what you think!
I have a step by step recipe video as well that you can watch below:
- 1 kg of chicken wings
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 6 tbsp sweet soy sauce
- ¼ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable/canola oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 12 dried chillies, sliced
- ¾ tsp grated garlic
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 1 capsicum, sliced
- Cilantro/parsley for topping
- Marinade the chicken wings with the ingredients stated above. Leave to marinate for at least 1 hour or overnight if preferred
- In a wok/frying pan, heat vegetable oil.
- Add onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add dried chillies and cook for another minute.
- Mix in garlic and saute for a further 30 seconds.
- Add the marinated chicken wings and cook covered for about 15 minutes.
- Season with black pepper and chilli flakes.
- Cook for a further 10-15 minutes, uncovered. The sauce should coat the chicken like a glaze.
- Add capsicum and sesame oil.
- Top with cilantro/parsley