What is your spice O’ meter? I would say I am a 6.5 or 7 out of 10. I bet I can go 8 too with a lot of tears by the side.
Don’t worry, I am not trying to say that these Chili Lime Chicken Wings would bring tears to your life. Happy tears maybe. Needless to say, it was fairly mild but you can choose to make them spicier if that is your kinda thing. I am always impressed with people who can take a whole lot of heat in their food. You are a superhero with a chilli as a superweapon.
Lime juice and zest, chilli, garlic, layers of flavour with very humble pantry ingredients, how much easier can it get? Yes, the recipe uses cilantro and I know there are
weird people out there who hate it, so feel free to give it a skip. Ideally, I would love to have this fire on the barbie but these rainy days have thrown me a curveball, so, I roasted these in the oven. Fret not, it did not compromise on the taste and you will still be rewarded with equally delicious results.
There is so much to love about dishes that takes 10 minutes to prepare and then you can just let it do its own thing, while you move on to other stuff like cleaning and wiping (boo). Now, I do prefer to leave the chicken to marinate overnight so that the spices get a lot of time to mingle around with the wings. The result is yummy wings that fall off the bone (due to the presence of the lime juice).
This is the time to get into your sweat pants, grab a few napkins (or not, that’s completely fine too) and just enjoy a bowl of this Chili Lime Chicken Wings. I personally had no difficulty finishing these on my own. No sweat.
- 1.5kg chicken wings
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro leaves + 2 tbsp
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lime juice + 2 tbsp
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, grated
- 2 inches ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp lime zest + 1 tbsp
- 3 tsp chilli powder
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1.5 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 3 pounds chicken wings or drumettes
- In a bowl, combine ¼ cup cilantro, ¼ cup lime juice, 3 tbsp olive oil, lime zest and all of the spices and salt.
- In a large Ziploc bag, combine chicken and the mix above and marinate for at least 3 hours to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius and grill chicken till cook.
- In a large bowl, combine 2 tbsp lime juice, 1 tbsp lime zest and 2 tbsp chopped cilantro and place the chicken wings in and give it a good toss.
- Serve immediately.