Me and this Bolognese Stuffed Zucchini = LIFE
It is just 33 days into the new year and I have found my most favorite recipe of 2016!!
Although something new might come up and topple my current favorite off the top list, but for now these zucchinis remains right on top and is very close to my
tummy heart. ♥
I made these stuffed zucchinis for 2 successive nights (freshly made and not leftovers, mind you) and my mother didn’t complain even a bit. In fact, she polished her plate clean. She can be rather finicky at times, so when she loves something, it really speaks volume.
I obviously love these zucchinis to death. If I have access to zucchinis daily, I would eat this every day for the rest of 2016, 2017, and 2018 too. Oh wells, you got my point.
The fork tender zucchini… the meaty filling with a hint of paprika and tangy tomatoes topped with some grated mozzarella. It tasted exactly like pizza sans the crust. So freaking délicieuse.
I can just sit in a corner, eat a tray of this (or maybe two) and just remain in this zone for hours.
Although this Bolognese Stuffed Zucchini is non vegetarian as I have added some ground beef, you can easily customize this recipe to make it vegetarian. Stuff these with ingredients like mushroom, chickpeas or even a mix of caramelized onions and spinach to make it a hearty meatless meal option. I can see my vegetarian boss smiling huge.
These zucchinis are perfect as a side dish or a main course itself. It’s also delicious and a clever way to make your kids eat their vegetables. I mean just tell them this is Pizza!
This favorite recipe of mine is definitely a keeper and you’ll want to make it again and again! I tried to make this healthy, so I didn’t top it with loads of cheese, but if you prefer it super cheesy, top it with all the cheese that your heart’s desire.
Let it snow (with cheese), let it snow!
- 3 zucchinis
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 carrot, coarsely chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon tomato puree/paste
- 300g ground beef
- 1 can (411g) crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 5 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika or chili flakes
- 1 tablespoon shaved parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella
- Basil, julienned
- In a large skillet heat the olive oil. Once hot, add the onion and saute over medium heat until the onions become very soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and carrot and saute for another 3 minutes.
- Mix in tomato paste and cook this for another minute or so.
- Raise heat to moderate high and add the ground beef.
- Add smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper.
- Once meat is no longer pink, add the tomatoes and cook this till the sauce is thick.
- Drop in the parsley and basil.
- Season with more salt and pepper and mix in 1 tablespoon of parmesan.
- Set the bolognese aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Trim stems from zucchini and slice lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and discard.
- Stuff zucchini with beef bolognese and top with shredded mozzarella.
- Bake for about 20-30 minutes, depending on the size of your zucchinis.
- Once done, top with basil.