It has been a hard few weeks. My mother has been in the hospital for exactly 16 days so far and I miss having her around the house! It does comfort me knowing that she’s in good recovery spirits in the good hands of our wonderful healthcare workers <3
So my younger niece has been around in these gloomy days, keeping me company with her antics during this time. Presently, I feel like a mother and my approach is definitely different. For example, once she was late in coming home as she was watching a movie with her friends and I WhatsApp-ed her to check-in and she said she was waiting for a bus to get back home and as proof, she even sent a picture of her at the bus stop. My reply was “Okay come back late. You know there are ghosts out there”. She literally went “MAYAAAAAAA WHYYY? It was that easy folks. There wasn’t a need to scold her, and there wasn’t a need to nag either. I know she is scared of ghosts and I made good use of this knowledge. Such convenience!! I have to say I am totally #mothermaterial.
Anyways, bringing it back today’s recipe. As you might all know by now, I am not the biggest fan of muffins as I like my cakes soft and buttery. Having said that, these Blueberry Cream Cheese Muffins recipe is a game-changer.
There are three parts to this recipe. The muffin batter, the cream cheese swirl and a crumb topping. Cause let’s be honest here, you know anything that has a crumb topping is almost guaranteed to be excellent, right?
I used fresh blueberries as I generally prefer to work with fresh berries for my bakes. Feel free to use the frozen ones if that is what you have. Just make sure not to thaw them before using. You can also use other berries based on your preference. In fact, these are delicious plain too!
Although there are 3 components for you to work on, there’s nothing too hard to make. Everything is simple and straight forward
Just “sacrifice” 1 hour of your time and you will be rewarded with buttery moist muffins that are bursting with fresh blueberries. Make a few extras and store them in the fridge for a few days. Simply reheat the muffins in the microwave or oven and your fancy breakfast is done! Even better, if you’re in a mood for some dessert, place the warmed muffin on a plate, scoop some vanilla ice cream over it and enjoy!
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see your creations let me know by snapping a pic and tagging @mayakitchenette on Instagram.
- 115g butter, cold
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup confectioners' sugar
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- 250g cream cheese, room temperature
- 125g cream cheese, room temperature
- 150g salted butter, room temperature
- 300g granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 190g cake flour
- ¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Using a food processor, fork, or your hands, combine the cold butter, flour, and confectioners' sugar in a bowl until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Keep in the fridge/chiller while you proceed with the other components.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar. Set aside while you prepare the muffin batter.
- Preheat oven to 170°C. Prepare a muffin pan with muffin liners.
- Mix in the blueberries with 2 tbsp of the flour and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine cream cheese and butter until smooth, about 3 minutes.
- Add sugar gradually and beat until lighter and fluffier.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well with each addition.
- Add in the vanilla.
- Add the flour and mix until just combined.
- Add in buttermilk with mixer on low and mix until just incorporated.
- Mix in the blueberries till well incorporated.
- Spoon a tablespoon of the muffin batter into the muffin cups. Filling each cup only halfway.
- Add cream cheese swirl to each muffin cup, followed by using another tablespoon of the batter to fill each cup.
- Using a toothpick, swirl the batter and the cream cheese of each muffin together.
- Top with the crumb topping and bake for about 20-25 minutes.