For the past 1 hour, I have been listening to “heart attack”, “I love you like a long song” and “love story”. Why am I susceptible to the music of teen girls? I blame this on my 14 years old niece. She has been continuously singing these kinda songs to her young-at-heart-aunt. If listening to Justin Bieber would make me a tad younger, I might end up doing just that too.
Your Mondays aren’t gonna be the same again.
The last weekend was quite a relaxing one. Cooked on Saturday, went out on Sunday. Did a gorgeous dessert made from figs. Grilled Figs with Honeyed Mascarpone. I am gonna ♥ you forever.
It is going to be a crazy week though. I have an order for high tea. I am doing this only because of my cousin
and that dress I am eyeing. But seriously, It is so hard to say no to cousins, especially if you have cousins like mine.
So I would be making a couple of things for the high tea.
- Fried Vermicelli
- Potato Masala Samosa
- Black Pepper Chicken Pies
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Bread and Butter Pudding
- Chocolate Cupcakes
- Creamy Chicken with Mushroom
For 120 people. Wish me luck people, tons of it please.
Coming back to these Barbecued Garlic And Chilli Prawns. They were fresh, delicious and best of all SIMPLE. Yes it is that kinda recipe that you do not need good luck or help from the kitchen god. How often can you go wrong with prawns anyways? Wait, why are you smirking and raising your eyebrows at the mention of the Kitchen God? You don’t believe they exist or have you never heard of them? I grew up watching a lot of Chinese serials. These drama serials can get pretty interesting and amusing at times.
The Kitchen God (also known as the stove god) is the most important of a plethora of Chinese domestic gods that is supposed to protect the hearth and family. Apparently, The Kitchen God is celebrated in Vietnamese culture too. Now I am wondering, how do we get that pretty meringue from just egg whites and sugar? Is it just the incorporating of air or is it the Kitchen God at work? 😀
Okay enough of digressing and back to the prawns. The lime zest and juice = refreshing. The garlic + chili + cumin + coriander is a perk-me-up for your taste-buds.
I also used chopped cilantro and mint for these prawns and the dip. For those of you who are not fans of cilantro, feel free to just use mint. Equally delicious.
I made a dip to go along with these prawns because I thought that it would really look good to have a dip by the side of these. Look at me, a cook at home and trying to be fancy and all. Shameful.
This dressing is made creamy with sour cream, lime juce and the flavor of cilantro, mint, garlic and chili flakes made it fresh and spicy tasting at the same time. So yes, the dip basically used the same ingredients as the marinade. The dip can be made with
- 100% sour cream
- 50% sour cream + 50% yogurt (Perfect for Skinny Mondays)
- 50% yogurt + 50% mayonnaise
I have tried different combinations and it works every time! It is really a matter of how health conscious you are and the measurement of your waistline. 😉
- 750g raw king prawns, peeled, deveined
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked whole black peppercorns
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked cumin seeds
- ¼ tsp freshly cracked coriander seeds
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- handful fresh coriander, chopped
- handful fresh mint, chopped
- salt to taste
- Lime wedges, to serve
- ½ cup sour cream/yogurt/mayonnaise (see notes)
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 garlic, grated
- zest of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ tsp sugar *optional* (see notes)
- Toss all the ingredients in a bowl. Leave to marinate for at least 2 hours or overnight, covered with cling film in the fridge.
- Preheat the grill on medium-high.
- Place the prawns onto the hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side, until opaque and pink in color.
- Serve these immediately with the dip.
- In a bowl, mix all the ingredients and store in the fridge till ready to use.
- If you prefer your dip to have a slight sweetness to it, do add the sugar.