Remember this Ayam Masak Lemak Cili Padi Recipe?
We and encoring it with a fusion twist to it. Fusion cuisine is a type of cuisine that combines elements from different countries or cultures. Today, we are bringing Italian and Asian ingredients together.
I’ve started noticing an increase in the trend of fusion food a couple of years ago, nowadays, you can actually see it more normalized in our daily culinary scenes, with our familiar favourites transformed into Pad Thai Pizza, Tom Yam Pasta, Satay Burger and Pandan Crème brûlée just to name a few.
While a purist might not always see fusion cuisine with enthusiasm as they feel we are compromising the classics, for me personally as long the ingredients complement each other, I tend to embrace fusion cuisine for the new experience and to try something out of the ordinary! It is perfectly okay to make changes to the classic as long we do justice to the original right?
Just like this pasta here, it is still a classic recipe, but this time we break the monotony of eating it with rice. I personally would make a big batch of this dish, eat it with rice today and pasta tomorrow. I know I have said this multiple times but I love dishes that keep well and taste equally (or more) delicious the next day! Working life can get pretty overwhelming and sometimes it is just not possible to cook every day.
Do give this Ayam Masak Lemak Cili Padi Pasta recipe a try even if you have not heard of this dish. You are gonna love it. I promise!
- 400g spaghetti/linguine
- 1 kg chicken portions
- 3 garlic, grated
- 2 cm ginger, grated
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup oil (If shallow frying)
- 1 tbsp oil (If using air fryer)
- 1 large red onion
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 10 green bird’s eye chillies (use less or omit if you can't handle the heat)
- 5 fresh red chillies
- 2 cm fresh turmeric OR ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 stalk lemongrass, sliced
- 400 ml thick coconut milk/cream
- 1 cup of water
- 1 cup of pasta water
- 5 kaffir lime leaves (optional)
- 1 stalk lemongrass, crushed lightly
- 1 cm galangal, sliced (optional)
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt to taste
- Cook pasta till al-dente. Set aside 1 cup of pasta water
- Coat the chicken pieces with the garlic, ginger, turmeric and salt. Shallow fry or air fry as preferred.
- In a pot, place 3 tbsp of oil and saute the blended ingredients, galangal and crushed lemongrass for about 10 minutes OR till fragrant.
- Add the browned chicken pieces and the kaffir lime leaves, if using.
- Cover and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk, water, pasta water and salt and cook for another 10-15 minutes or until the chicken pieces are fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken pieces from the gravy.
- Toss in the pasta till well coated with the gravy.
- Serve pasta in a bowl and top with chicken
- Top with some cherry tomatoes and greens if desired.
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to see your creations let me know by snapping a pic and tagging @mayakitchenette on Instagram.