Hello lovelies! The weekend is finally here and this calls for a celebration. How would you generally celebrate a happy occasion? Well, I just have slices of Delicious Earl Grey Cake. 💜
My cousin gave me a box of Earl Grey Tea and I have been wanting to use it in my bakes. 7 months later, it finally materialized. Yes, you are looking at the queen of procrastinating here. 😇
So what is actually Earl Grey Tea? Earl Grey tea is a blend of tea that’s flavored with bergamot essential oil. Bergamot is a citrus and they are often known as citrons doux, which translates as “sweet lemons”.
And what is an Earl Grey Tea cake you might ask? Well, it is vanilla cake with tea baked right into it. Yup, it tastes as good as it sounds!
Some of you might prefer for the cake to have a stronger flavor of tea, but for me, this was pretty much perfect the way it was. I also added some lemon zest to the cake and this obviously made the cake more divine and fragrant. Lemons are always a winner in bakes. My mother enjoyed the cake very much and have been hinting that I should encore this cake again. Soon mom, soon.
I actually wanted to top this beauty with a white crown of frosting but this Earl Grey infused cake was already delightful, pillowy soft and moist, I felt that there wasn’t a need for more frills. Just as I have mentioned earlier, the earl grey flavor was pretty light though and for those of you who would prefer a more prominent tea flavor, you can always use a stronger tea concentrate for the cake.
This Delicious Earl Grey Cake is perfect for teatime or any other time of the day. I mean who needs an excuse to have cakes right? If you love tea cakes then I urge you to give this cake a try. I am already planning to make this again!
- 220g butter (room temperature)
- 220g caster sugar
- 220g self-raising flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1.5 Tbsp Earl grey tea or 3 bags of earl grey tea
- 100 ml hot water
- ¼ cup fresh milk
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Steep earl grey tea into 100 ml of hot water and set aside.
- Grease and line a 9 inch round pan or an 8x8 square baking pan with baking paper.
- Using an electric mixer, whisk sugar and eggs till pale yellow and creamy. Set aside.
- In another bowl, cream butter, lemon zest and flour till white and fluffy.
- Fold in the egg mixture to the butter+flour batter.
- Strain the earl grey tea and add about 4 tbsp of the tea concentrate to the cake batter. Add more if you prefer a more concentrated flavour.
- Finally, mix in the milk and vanilla.
- Pour cake into prepared pan and bake for about 50 - 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Once done, let it stand in pan for 10-15 minutes and then turn out onto a wire rack to cool.