I have never understood why some people hate mushroom. I mean imagine a skillet of mushrooms lightly sauteed in butter with lemon and tarragon? What not to love?
If you’re a mushroom lover like me, you would immensely enjoy this Cheesy Bolognese Stuffed Mushrooms. I can eat this every single day of my life. True story.
Every now and then, I would make a big batch of Bolognese sauce and I would normally freeze half of it. This is so useful especially on those nights when you do not have much time to prepare dinner. You can easily construct a lasagne with the Bolognese or even fill a tortilla with the Bolognese. I personally love to pour Bolognese over a bowl of spaghetti or zoodles if I was feeling that I need some greens for the day. Obviously, you can also make these Cheesy Bolognese Stuffed Mushrooms. ♥
Basically, you start with a bunch of huge Portobello mushrooms. You can either cook the Bolognese from scratch or use a readymade sauce for convenience. I used ground beef in the sauce but if you would prefer to go vegetarian, feel free to omit the beef and you could use some chopped peppers instead, for texture. Mushrooms are awesome for vegetarians as there is this “meaty” texture about them.
If you are gonna be using ready-made sauce, you can just saute some garlic and brown some minced beef before adding the jarred sauce to make a quick bolognese.
So you start by cleaning the mushrooms and removing the gills, using a spoon. Then you stuff them with some Bolognese and top with some cheese or a LOT of cheese, depending how much of a cheese lover you are. On a scale of 1 to 10, I am definitely an 11. I love my cheeses a tad too much.
These mushrooms were pretty light with the perfect amount of stuffing and cheese. Do make sure that you cook down your bolognese till it thickens for quite a bit so that the mushroom holds up the sauce nicely. I am definitely going to patronize this recipe over and over again.
So it’s already Friday huh? I am going to be having a hectic weekend and before the madness begins, let me enjoy a couple more of these stuffed mushrooms. These are my happy pills right here. ↓
- 400g minced beef
- 2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (optional)
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 basil leaves, julienned (optional)
- ½ tsp dried mixed herbs
- 50g shaved parmesan
- 1 tsp sugar
- salt and black pepper
- 12 portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed, clean and dried with a paper towel
- 2 cups of bolognese sauce
- 1.5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or a pizza cheese blend)
- A handful of basil
- Heat a pan with 2 tbsp of olive oil. Saute onion and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and saute for 30 seconds.
- Mix in minced beef and cook till brown. Once brown, add tomato puree and mixed herbs and cook for another minute or so.
- Add the canned tomatoes to the pan.
- Season with salt, sugar and black pepper. Cook this till the sauce have reduced and bolognese is thick and rich.
- Finally, add shaved parmesan and basil.
- Fill each mushroom with 1.5 tablespoons of the bolognese.
- Top with mozzarella cheese and basil.
- Grill until cheese has melted and is golden in colour, for about 10-12 minutes.