If you have never eaten Cereal Butter Prawns all your life, YOU DON’T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE MISSING. (Pardon me for shouting)
If you have not heard of Cereal Prawn, this dish is a dark horse. Google said it is a “Singapore recipe” I really don’t want to claim ownership to this recipe, but if this recipe really originated from my country, Hallelujah!!
It is my cousin’s wedding this weekend and as usual, wedding cakes for relatives are giving me the initial jitters. I am cool when it comes to baking for strangers though. Reason would be as such.
- Some distant relative that you have not met for 101 years would come up to you b’coz you made the wedding cake.
- People would be asking who made the wedding cakes and during the entire wedding, you will have fingers, thumbs and toes pointing at you.
- You get more relatives coming up to you saying that they also want to order wedding cakes from you and you have to start explaining that you don’t do wedding cakes as often since you are an amateur.
- Giving out the wedding cakes and trying your best to be fair but you can’t help giving an extra slice of cake or cupcake to your favorite cousins.
- Going through hours of being in the same space as the cake and knowing, this was not what you expected. Ie: you colored the flowers on the cake using red coloring but it ended up looking maroon.
Girls, if your other half likes to get messy, (Read: He likes to use his fingers to rip apart those lamb chops or buffalo wings) you definitely have to cook this for him. The crispy bits of cereal and the moist succulent prawns, I can’t breathe just thinking of it!! These Cereal Butter Prawns are life changing. A super easy recipe and 30 minutes is all that it takes! I seriously think you are going to lovey-dovey them. Pin this recipe, tweet it, share it on Facebook, bookmark it and everything else. Just make sure that you don’t lose this recipe.
- 500 g large or medium size prawns. (Cleaned and dry thoroughly)
- ¾ cup cereal (I used Nestum)
- 0.5 tsp salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1½ tbsp rice flour
- A fat pinch of black pepper
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 2 tbsp butter
- Sprinkle prawns with salt. Add egg and mix thoroughly. Sprinkle with flour and mix till coated.
- In a frying pan, heat butter and oil till hot.
- Fry prawns over moderately high heat. till just cooked. Drain.
- In another pan, heat butter till melted. Add curry leaves, garlic and chilli.
- Fry over medium heat till fragrant and the curry leaves should crisp up.
- Add cereal and season with salt.
- Add prawns and toss till well mixed, turning off heat as cereal turns fully golden brown.