I always keep a packet or 2 of pasta in my pantry, be it a fettuccine, a spaghetti or even penne.
Pasta is convenient, satisfying and mostly kid friendly. I think every one who cooks pasta often, has a favorite go-to-pasta recipe that would usually be really versatile. I have never understood the crowds at Pasta Mania. I tried it once, it was average. Tried it the second time and let’s just say..there won’t be a 3rd time. You will get an endless variations of Pasta, once you master the basics and yes, better and more wholesome pasta, compared to those sold outside.
This recipe is called “Pantry Pasta” because you can really throw in any ingredients that you are likely to have on hand. Instead of chicken, you can use beef, prawns, squids or even go all veg! It taste really good yet it is deceptively simple to prepare.
If you need to fix a meal quick, why not give this recipe a try? Calling for pizza would take you 40 minutes, this would only take you 30 minutes and that too at a fraction of the price that you would be paying for pizzas! Leftovers can be kept in the fridge and would be perfect for brunch the next day. I love left overs. Same goes for my niece who would gladly dig in to the leftovers, the next day.
- 250 g chicken breasts, cut into strips and marinade with a pinch of salt, pepper and 1tbsp of lemon juice)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 300 g fettuccine/spaghetti - cook as per instructions on packaging
- 2+1 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 10 fresh button mushrooms - sliced
- 1 can of diced tomatoes. ( I used Hunt's Italian-style)
- Some vegetables if you prefer
- Olives (optional)
- Cook pasta as per instructions on packaging. Reserve 1 cup of the pasta water.
- In a large pan, fry chicken slices in 1 tbsp of oil till light brown. Set the chicken aside.
- In the same frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of oil and saute onion and garlic. keep stirring, 3 to 4 minutes, until translucent.
- Add mushrooms, canned tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and bring to a light boil.
- Season with salt and black pepper.
- Reduce the heat and add chicken, and the vegetables, if using.
- Finally add the pasta, olives and toss for a minute to coat with sauce. Add pasta water, if required.
- Sprinkle some Parmesan and serve hot.