I am pretty sure that most of you have seen pictures/recipes of Burnt Basque Cheesecake that have taken social media and food blogs by storm. Its origins trace back to the quaint coastal town of San Sebastián, nestled in the heart of Spain’s Basque Country.
Despite its simple ingredient list of cream cheese, heavy cream, eggs and sugar., the Burnt Basque Cheesecake has captivated dessert enthusiasts worldwide with its irresistible contrast of smooth, creamy center and uniquely delectable burnt crust. While a few years have passed since its meteoric rise, the Burnt Basque Cheesecake retains its allure and continues to enjoy unwavering popularity. There’s an undeniable allure to its signature char. The Burnt Basque Cheesecake is a testament to the power of simplicity, showcasing how a few humble ingredients can orchestrate a symphony of flavors, and captivating taste buds time and again.
Today I am combining the charred flavor and creamy texture together for a chocolate-y dessert. The combination of dark chocolate and cream cheese harmonizes seamlessly with the creamy smoothness of the cheesecake, creating a dessert experience unlike any other. Opt for high-quality chocolate, ideally around 60% cocoa or higher, to elevate the richness of this cheesecake. While coffee is optional, it adds a depth of flavor to this cheesecake. You can barely taste the coffee, to be honest.
The Chocolate Burnt Basque Cheesecake recipe is a breeze to prepare and maintains its delightful taste for several days, making it perfect for prepping ahead for guests or fulfilling those late-night cravings. I highly recommend giving this recipe a try. Its ease of preparation, coupled with an irresistible blend of flavors, guarantees that this Chocolate Burnt Basque Cheesecake will make it a household favorite in no time!
- 450g Cream cheese, room temperature
- 200g Dark chocolate, 60-70%
- 100g Fine sugar
- 1 tbsp Cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- ½ tsp Instant coffee
- 3 Large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup Whipping cream
- Preheat the oven to 240C/ 465F and line a 6-inch/15 cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Melt the chocolate in the microwave or over a hot water bath and set aside to cool slightly.
- Place the cream cheese in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
- Add the sugar and mix until well combined.
- Add the cocoa powder, and instant coffee and beat until smooth and lump-free.
- Whisk in the eggs, vanilla and chocolate, then add the cream and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into the lined cake tin and bake for 25 mins.
- Open the oven door and wedge in a spoon, let the cake sit for 10 mins.
- Remove the cake and place it directly in the fridge to cool overnight or a minimum of 4 hours.
- Unmold, slice and enjoy!