It has been bucketing down (read: raining) a whole lot on our sunny island of Singapore. Last Friday, it literally rained non-stop for more than 24 hours! For us, it’s simply perfect weather to buckle down and get lazing indoors with a mug of hot tea and a plate of this Delicious Chipotle Chicken Quesadillas!
Quesadillas is something that EVERYONE should know how to make. Basic survival skills, next to instant noodles of course. You start by filling a tortilla with cheese and a couple of other ingredients you love or have around the pantry/fridge. Then, fold the tortilla in half and grill it on a (non-stick preferred) pan till it’s all toasty and the cheese melts. Come on, if you can fry an egg, you definitely can do a quesa’D!
Even though I cooked up my own chicken here to go with these, feel free to get some leftover/ grocery rotisserie chicken to make things even easier for yourself. There are so many ways to fill these babies. You can do beef, chicken, prawns or even make it completely vegetarian. You do you, boo.
These Chipotle Chicken Quesadillas makes the perfect last-minute dinner idea and it is also easy and good for the lunchboxes. Many a time, I have unexpected guests over, I would resort to whipping up a couple of quesadillas and serve it on a platter and everyone is happy! Yup, this is basically happy food right here, it can fix anything!
- 2 chicken breast, cut into strips (about 400g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- ⅓ cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, minced
- ½ tsp red chilli flakes
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 4 tortillas (you can use any that you prefer)
- 300g cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup red pasta sauce
- 1 green capsicum, sliced
- 1 yellow capsicum, sliced
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Sour cream, for serving (optional)
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro (optional)
- In a pan, add the onion and sauté until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add in the chicken and cook till it is slightly brown.
- Stir in the chipotle, chilli flakes, salt and pepper.
- Cook till the chicken is cooked and the sauce has evaporated
- Place a tortilla on a plate.
- Spread 1 tbsp of red sauce on the tortilla
- Fill half the tortilla with some of the cooked chicken, tomatoes, capsicum, cheddar and mozzarella.
- Fold into half and place this on a pan over medium heat.
- Cook until the tortilla is crisp and golden and the cheese is melted, adjusting the heat as necessary, a few minutes per side.
- Repeat with the remaining tortillas.
- Let the quesadillas rest a few minutes to allow the filling to set, then cut into wedges.
- Mix the sour cream with some cilantro and serve this by the side.