I am not the only fan of pasta in my house. My brother and niece enjoy eating pasta too, thus I find it really enjoyable to cook pasta as it is enjoyed by a few members of my family. This recipe it is adapted from Jamie’s 30 Minute Meals. Jamie Oliver name this Jools (his wife) Oliver’s pregnant pasta. I just had to give this recipe a try as this is supposed to be his wife most loved pasta. I made a couple of changes though. The original recipe uses sausages and I used ground beef instead. This Balsamic Tomato And Basil Penne is gorgeous and really easy. It is light on the palate too and I believe it is due to the presence of the balsamic vinegar.
- 1 packet Penne
- 1 carrot - chopped 1 stick of celery - Chopped
- 1 capsicum - chopped
- 400 g minced beef
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp paprika
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 can of chopped tomatoes (400 g)
- A few sprigs of basil
- A few sprigs of spring onion
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Cook penne according to the instructions on packet. Remember to season the water with salt. Keep aside 1 cup of the pasta water.
- In a fry pan, saute garlic in a couple tablespoon of oil. Add chopped vegetables and saute for 2-3 minutes.
- Add minced beef and paprika. Cook for 5 minutes. Stir in the balsamic vinegar and canned tomatoes. Season with salt.
- Add fennel seeds, oregano and black pepper. Cook till almost dry.
- Mix in Pasta. Check for seasoning. Do add more salt if required.
- Take off heat. Plate the pasta and top with a generous amount of Parmesan and scatter over a few basil leaves and spring onion.
I am going to try this weekend.
Looks tasty, and perfect for a lighter springtime pasta! I love that little metal dish, too! So cute.