Happy New Year lovelies! It is that time of the year when you make resolutions. So, what is yours?
I aim to eat healthier this year.
Basically, the same resolution for the past 10 years. Right now I am lying on a rug, popping sunflower kernels. Totally healthy kinda thing! I had a lettle-beet of Lindt’s chocolate earlier on though, but a few squares do not count right?
So, another year just flew bye and another wrinkle just popped out of nowhere. I am starting to understand better as to why Peter Pan didn’t want to grow up. I mean why would anyone want to grow older? Unless you have a million dollars of inheritance coming up on your next birthday of course.
Anyways, we need to start 2017 with a bang! Okay fine, It’s me who wanted to start with a bang of a recipe.
Two days ago, I bought a whole lot of cherry tomatoes since I felt like eating roasted tomatoes. You know, toss’em with garlic, extra virgin olive oil and crushed black pepper kinda thingy? Totally Tomato deliciousness and I can pop that thing all day long! It also tastes sooo good with slices of toasted baguette. #fortheloveofcarbs
My mom is a huge fan of puff pastry. I like it too, but I can be lazy at times and pastry preperation can be time consuming. Moreover, off late I have been really busy with some personal stuffs going on, thus meticulous stuffs are really beyond me. In fact during times like this, I wish I can just put an “out of order” sticker on my head and just bum the day away.
Since I was not in the mood to be folding pastries, I just used store-bought puff pastry! At times, shortcuts can really be so convenient. Anyways, I had this idea in my head. Puff pastry topped with roasted tomatoes, cheese and caramelized onions. It basically started with seasoned cherry tomatoes that gets roasted for about 20 minutes. I also sauteed some onions for the tart. Caramelized would have been good, but patience was missing for the day so I just went for semi-caramelized. The end result was lovely as these tomato and onion tart turned out delish! Me and mom loved it, a tad too much I have to say.
I love how versatile puff pastry can be. You can top them with a whole lot of different ingredients. I mean imagine scrambled eggs or goat cheese or even some roasted peppers. As cliche as it sounds, the sky is really the limit here, my friend.
Do give this Tomato and Onion Tart a try. The tomatoes lend it’s tartness to the pie while the onions gave flavour to it and obviously cheese makes everything better! I am sure you are going to love it as much as we did.
- 500g Cherry Tomatoes (I used a mix of red and yellow)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 garlic, halved.
- 2 sheets of puff pastry
- 2 Onions, sliced
- ½ cup shredded mozarella
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- A handful of basil or parsley, shredded
- 1 egg + 2 tbsp of milk for eggwash
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius.
- Mix the above ingredients and roast them in the oven for about 20 minutes
- In a frying pan, saute sliced onion with 1 tbsp of olive oil for about 10 minutes.
- Place a sheet of pastry on a baking sheet or on a tart pan.
- Top with half of the cheese.
- Sprinkle with the onions and finally top with the roasted tomatoes.
- Brush the eggwash around the edges of the crust.
- Bake the tart for about 20 minutes.
- Repeat with the other sheet of pastry and the remaining ingredients.
- Sprinkle basil/parsley over the tart and cut into squares.