Chocolate Cake with Maltesers

Maya

Chocolate-cake-with-maltesers

My eldest niece and nephew are huge fans of chocolate-y stuffs. Whenever I ask them as to what cake should I bake, the answer would always remain the same. At times, I wonder, why do I even bother to ask? The conversation with the niece on whatsapp, last week was like this.

Me: What cake do you want?
Niece: You know what cake I want Maya ^^
Me: Pandan Chiffon cake? (Trying to act smart)
Niece: Chocolate cake please Maya :*

Yup, why do I EVEN bother asking?

At the same time, a friend was asking me as to what I would suggest her to bake for Father’s Day, last week. She even added “my dad is a huge chocolate fan”. Well, what’s new? Three-quarters of the people in this world are chocolate lovers anyways. I am sharing this recipe for you, the 75% percent choco-lovers. The other 25%, ya I know these chocolate lovers are Crazy with a capital C and I feel you. At times I can’t stand their oohs and ahhs when it comes to chocolate either. You might wanna try this Apple Crumb Cake Recipe instead. Enjoy your cake and let’s not mess with the “choconatics”.

This Chocolate Cake with Maltesers is rich, topped with chocolate ganache and maltesers halves mooshed on top of the cake. Are you already close to licking the cake on your computer screen? These Maltesers don’t need an introduction. Like is there even anyone who doesn’t know these malt chocolate balls? Okay they are basically crunchy bites of malt surrounded by the melted milk chocolate. Yums!

Chocolate-cake-with-maltesers

Chocolate and Law of Attraction goes hand in hand. Whenever I post a chocolate cake or chocolate cookies on my facebook, I tend to get more thumbs up than I would with anything else. Chocoholics would openly declare their undying love for chocolate. The wows I get from them, is it me or chocolate brings out the sensual side in people? They even came up with words like “chocogasm”?

Chocolate-cake-with-maltesers

Okay where was I? Oh ya, Chocolatey, moist, topped with old fashioned ganache and finally studded with maltesers. So yes, bake this cake for your loved ones. If your other half is a chocolate fan, why not make his or her day with this cake?

It’s Friday already! I am so ready for the weekend!! Am off to the brother’s house for the next four days. I LOVE spending time with the nieces! Time spent with them always makes me feel half my age, which would be 10 years old.

Don’t you dare to start calculating my age and raising eyebrows are not allowed too.

Chocolate-cake-with-maltesers

 

Chocolate Cake with Maltesers
 
Prep time
Cook time
Total time
 
Author:
Ingredients
For the cake
  • 150g salted butter, plus a little extra for greasing
  • 250g caster sugar
  • 150g self-raising flour
  • 125ml sour cream
  • 4 medium eggs
  • 50g cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the chocolate ganache
  • 8 ounces dark chocolate (or semi-sweet if you prefer)
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 50 g butter
For decoration
  • Maltesers (or any other chocolate you prefer)
Instructions
For the cake
  1. Preheat the oven to 170 degrees celcius.
  2. Grease a baking pan. You can use an 9 inch baking pan. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper.
  3. In a mixing bowl, add the butter, sugar, flour, sour cream, eggs, cocoa powder, baking powder, salt and vanilla extract.
  4. Then mix or blend to give a smooth, soft mixture.
  5. Pour the cake batter into the cake tin and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes.
  6. Insert a skewer into the middle of each cake and if it comes out clean, then they are ready to come out.
  7. Let the cake cool down completely before frosting.
For the ganache
  1. Chop the chocolate into small pieces so that it will melt evenly.
  2. Put chocolate into a large heatproof bowl. Bring 1 cup of cream just to a boil over medium-high heat; pour over chocolate. Let stand for 10 minutes. Stir until smooth. Stir
  3. the mixture very gently, incorporating the cream steadily, without overworking. Mix in butter.
  4. The ganache should begin to appear glossy. Once it cool down, pour ganache over cake.
  5. Top cake with Maltesers.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 8 Calories: 719 Fat: 49g Saturated fat: 29g Unsaturated fat: 16g Trans fat: 1g Carbohydrates: 67g Sugar: 43g Sodium: 196mg Fiber: 5g Protein: 9g Cholesterol: 186mg

 

Subscribe

Loving our recipes?
Sign up to our free newsletters and stay inspired with our wealth of recipes, tips and ideas to get you cooking.

Sponsors

One Comment

  1. cheng says:

    Such an amazing cake! Adding this to my list of bakes to try. 🙂

Leave a Comment

Rate this recipe:  

Subscribe to Maya Kichenette email updates..

Subscribe for new recipes,exclusive giveaways, behind the scenes and more !

We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe.

Top